kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Chevrolet Cavalier: i have a 1998 chevy cavalier with a 2.2

i have a 1998 chevy cavalier with a 2.2 liter motor which is no good. im trying to replace it with a 2.2 out of a 1996 cavalier. ive used the wireing harness and sensors from the 1998 motor in the 1996 motor. im not getting any spark at the spark plugs. what am i missing?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

kalamykid :

DOuble check and make sure that you did not plug he cam sensor plug into the crank sensor and visversa. The plugs are the same, and if you did swap them you will not have spark.

Customer:

ok, ill check on that. is there a way to tell which one is which

kalamykid :

Let me look up the wire colors for you, be right back.

Customer:

i just checked the sensors, the cam sensor is a 3 pin plug and the crank sensor is 2 pin plug

kalamykid :

Both plugs will have the same color wires but one wire, the cam sensor will have a brown with a white strip, and the crank sensor has a blue with a white strip, the other two wires are red and a pink with a black strip.

Customer:

the crank sensor on the 1998 is only 2 wires

kalamykid :

I am sorry i looked up the 96, let em double check the 98 color codes

Customer:

ok, like i said, im useing the wireing harness and sensors from the 98

kalamykid :

What happened to the original engine that made you replace it?

Customer:

snapped a rod and sent it through the block

kalamykid :

Let me do some checking to see if the crank and cam sensors are the same leangth for the two years you are dealing with, be right back.

Customer:

ive checked, the cam sensors are exactly the same. the crank sensors are thw same length but the 96 is 3 wires and the 98 is 2 wires. the casting # XXXXX both crankshafts are the same and so are the blocks

kalamykid :

Where did the rod come through the block?

Customer:

#4 rod. through the left side of block between the dipstick tube and rear of block

kalamykid :

Did you do the relearn procedure after you reconected the battery for the anti theft system?

Customer:

no i didnt. i was wondering if the anti theft system might have something to do with it

kalamykid :

Try this for me please, try to start the car but only bump the starter with the key, then let the key return the the run posion. the anti theft light should be blinking. Let it sit in the run position for 10 minutes and the light shoudl stop blinking. when the light stops blinking, turn the switch to off and then try to start the enigne.

Customer:

ok, let me try it. ill get back to you and let you know

kalamykid :

Once you have turn the key from start to run, do not touch the key till the light stops flashing. If the light stops flashing in less then 10minutes, there is a problem with the anti theft system and we will have to do some testing to see why.

Customer:

ok. ill be back in a few

kalamykid :

ok

Customer:

ok, i tried bumping the motor over and leaving the key in the run posistion. the theft light came on and stayed on steady (no blinking) i waited 10 minutes and the light never went out

kalamykid :

Try doing the same thing but this time turn the enigne over for a couple of seconds and see if the light starts to fash when you return the key to the run position please.

Customer:

ok, hang on

kalamykid :

Thank you

Customer:

no, the light still stays on steady

kalamykid :

Di you replace the timeing chain before you put the engine in the car?

Customer:

no. the motor was running fine in the 1996 car. the car body was junk

kalamykid :

Have you double checked to make sure all hte ground wires are conected at the block and the bolts are good and tight? Also do you have a digital volt meter and a test light?

kalamykid :

Also do you have a scanner that will give you live data stream?

Customer:

ill double check the ground wires. yes i have a digital multimeter and a test light. no scanner

kalamykid :

If all the grounds are good, then we will have to do some testing, while you are checking teh grounds, I will pull the tests we need to go over.

Customer:

ok

kalamykid :

For some of the tests you will need a helper, do you have one? If not do you havea remote starter button?

Customer:

i have a helper

Customer:

all the grounds are clean and tight

kalamykid :

Ok let me scan in the pin outs for the ignition module so you know what I need you to test.

Customer:

ok

kalamykid :

Did the diagram come through?

Customer:

no

kalamykid :

Here is a link where you can get the diagram, http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/kalamykid/98%20caviler/

Customer:

i do have a chiltons manuall for this car

kalamykid :

Just click on it twice and it will blow up so you can see it better.

kalamykid :

Chiltons will not have the pin out for the icm plugs.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

ive got your diagram now

kalamykid :

The first thing I need you to do will be to unplug the two wire plug, conect a test light between the twi terminals and turn the ignition switch to run, does the test light light up?

Customer:

hang on ill ckeck

kalamykid :

ok

Customer:

do you mean the terminals on the wire or on the module?

kalamykid :

The wires please, if you have a small paper clip, you can slide it into the back of the plug so the paper clip is makeing contact witht he conector in the plug, so you do not damage the wires, then use the tip of the test light on the front side to test the other terminal.

Customer:

i checked the wires at the plug, the test light comes on

kalamykid :

I need you to plug the two pin plug back in, then unplug the 6 wire plug. With your meter set to ohms, see what the resisitance is for pins A and E with the ignition switch on please?

Customer:

1.23 oms with ign on and off

kalamykid :

I need you to pull the crank sensor out please, and see if it will stick to the bottom of the oil pan.

kalamykid :

I believe you may have a bad crank sensor.

kalamykid :

But we can test the sensor.

Customer:

ok hang on a sec

crank sensor is brand new and it is magnitized

kalamykid :

With the sensor not touching any metel, see what the ohms reading is betweent he two pins in the sensor please?

Customer:

1.24 oms on sensor

kalamykid :

Are you sure you have your meter set to ohms and not dcv?

Customer:

yes its set to oms

kalamykid :

Then your crank sensor is bad.

Customer:

its brand new

kalamykid :

I know but the ohms shoudl read between 700 and 1300

kalamykid :

WIth you haveing the same reading at the sensor as you do at the plug for the icm, I know your problem is not a wire problem.

Customer:

i reset my meter to read 1000 oms setting, im now getting 1295 oms on sensor

kalamykid :

Reconet the ceank sensor back up wth out putting it back in, and restest pins a and e please.

Customer:

1303 oms on pins a&e

kalamykid :

Set you meter to AC volts reconect to pins A and E and have your helper turn the engine over and see what the AC volt reading is please.

kalamykid :

I need to step out ofr just a few minutes, I will be right back.

Customer:

im not getting anything for a reading

kalamykid :

Do you have the old harness form the 96 car still?

kalamykid :

I am sorry you needed to put the crank sensor back in before doing this test, please put it back in and make sure it is plugged up, then redo the AC volt test when cranking the enigne over please.

Customer:

ok, i thought about that ......lol

kalamykid :

I am sorry, I forgot I told you not to put it back in when you did the ohms test.

Customer:

im still not getting a reading

kalamykid :

kalamykid :

And if so, do you need it for anything?

Customer:

no i dont have the harness anymore

kalamykid :

Do this for me please, redo the Aand E test with your meter set to ohms, while you are testing it, have your helper unplug the crank sensor and see if the reading changes to 0 please.

Customer:

yes, i lost all resistance

kalamykid :

Your problem has to be the ignition module. Can you remove it and take it to your local auto parts store and have them test it please?

kalamykid :

I know auto zone and advance auto parts should have a terster for it.

Customer:

yes i can do that. your talkig about the module under the 2 coil packs?

kalamykid :

Yes.

Customer:

ok, ill take it to get it tested. it will take me awhile to do this. will you be around latter today or tomorrow?

kalamykid :

Yes I will be here. I have to go pick up some parts myself, so I will e gone for about two hours, but will check back in with you as soon as I get back.

Customer:

ok. it may take me longer than that, ive only got 1 vehicle and several errands to do

kalamykid :

then that gives me a few extra minutes to do what I have to. Would you like to meat back up say in 4 hours?

Customer:

id like to but i may not get done that soon

kalamykid :

That is ok, I will be here when you get back and we can continue then. Just drop me a line to this chat screen and I will be back with you asap.

Customer:

ok, thanks

kalamykid :

You are welcome.

kalamykid :

I am here if you need me.

Customer:

the ign cont mod checked out ok

kalamykid :

Have you checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes to nake sure they all have 12 volts on both sides of the fuse with the fuses in the fuse box?

Customer:

i know all the fuses are good but havent checked the voltage

kalamykid :

Check the voltages please, just to make sure you do not have low voltages to some of them.

Customer:

ok, give me a few minutes to check

kalamykid :

ok

Customer:

im getting between 12.15 and 12.20 volts on all fuses

kalamykid :

Do you still have the icm out?

Customer:

yes, i just got home

kalamykid :

With your meter set to ohms, see what the oms reading is across the two pins for the coils please.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

im not getting any reading

kalamykid :

Can you try again, but this time switch the knob a couple of times first just to make sure it is not acting up like earlier today.

Customer:

with meter set on 2000k im getting a reading of around 850

kalamykid :

Your meter does have a dc and an ac volts setting corect?

Customer:

yes

kalamykid :

Set you r meter to AC volts and see what you get when you test pins A and E on the 6 pin conector, and have some one turn the enigne over again, and see what the ac volts is with the crank sensor in the block please.

kalamykid :

Make sure the crank senosr is plugged in please.

Customer:

no voltage at pins a&e

kalamykid :

YOu do have your meter set to ac volts correct and not dc volts?

Customer:

is it possable that even thought the parts refferance says the casting number for both crankshafts is the same the parts numbers are different. could the reluctor rings be different? yes, the meter is set to ac volts

kalamykid :

I do not think so, I just used a 95 crank in a 99 cav, just two weeks ago. The problem has to be in the crank sensor, or he depth the sensor is going in to the block. Do you have the 96 crank sensor? if so can you compair the deth of the two and see if they are the same? YOu should have had atleast 200mv when you where turning the enige over if the sensor was picking up reluctor ring.

kalamykid :

You can always pull the sensor back out, hold your test leads to the pins in the sensor, and move the tip of the sensor over a metal object and see if you get a reading that way, just to see if the sensor is the problem.

Customer:

i compared the 2 sensors by looking at them next to eachother and also stuck both into the 98 block to see how close they sat to the reluctor ring. they both appeared to be the same measurements. just different wireing

kalamykid :

That is what i thought, so it has to be a bad sensor. all the rest of the readings are good, but the ohms test on the module, and the ac voltage test on the crank sensor.

Customer:

didnt we test the sensor earlier?

kalamykid :

All we did was an ohms test to see if it had a broken wire, the ac voltage test is the only way to know if the sensor is working correctly.

Customer:

ok, so what should i do next?

kalamykid :

set your meter to ac volts, pull the crank sensor out. hold the test leads to the pins in the sensor, use the corner of the fender as a contact point, and move the crank sensor back and forth over the corner of the fender and see if you get a reading.

Customer:

ok give me a few minutes

kalamykid :

YOu can even tap thr tip on the corner kinda fast to see if you get a reading.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

with meter set on ac volts, im not getting any readings at all on the sensor

kalamykid :

Then it has to be bad. nCan you get a new sensor, "and test it there at the store" and see if another sensor will read correctly?

Customer:

ok, that will have to wait until tomorrow morning. this is a new sensor that i just purchased 2 days ago, i should be able to exchange it

Customer:

to test it at the store, what should the oms read and what reading should i get on ac volts?

kalamykid :

All you have to do is just the ac volts test, if it is good, then the ohms will be ok as well, but the ohms reading shoudl be between(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer:

ok, ill get that done tomorrow morning

kalamykid :

I will be back online around 10 am eastern time. Chat with you then.

Customer:

thanks for the help today. chat with you more tomorrow

kalamykid :

You are very welcome. We will get this one up and running tomorrow.

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

good morning

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Good morning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ive got a new crank sensor and installed it in motor, also reinstalled the ICM and coil packs, im still not getting any spark. i purchased a new multimeter because i didnt trust the readings i was getting with old meter

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

Set your meter to ac volts, and see what you get when you turn the engine over as you are testing pins A and E please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im only getting .3volts

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the pig tail for the 96 crank sensor as well as the sensor? If so, lets see if we can use the 96 crank sensor. You will need a small piece of wire about 9 inches long as well as the old plug. DO you have these items?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i do, i was wondering if i could wire it into the 98 harness

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
This is what I need you to do, take the red wire form the 96 crank sensor pig tail, and run it into the bakc of the pink wire in the two wire plug, then stick the pink blak wire from the 96 into the 98 plug on the yelow wire, and the 96 plug wire blue with a whit strip into the purple wire of the 98 plug and see if it will start.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, give me awhile to get this done

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

still wont start

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Do you have spark on any of the plug wires?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im checking that now

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Also please do the ac volt test again and lets see if we are getting a signal from ths 96 crank sensor please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no spark, nothing on ac test

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

Can you do the ac test on the new crank sensor you just got and see if the sensor itself will give you a reading, remeber to use the corner of the fender as a trigger, you can tapp the tip of the snensor with a screw driver if you need to instead of the corner of the fender. did you hear the 96 engine run?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

explain how to do the test again so im sure im doing it right

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
DO you have the pig tail for the coolant temp sensor, it will have a yellow wire and a black wire? If you do you can use that pig tail to help you do the tap test, just plug the pig tail into the crank sensor, conect a test lead to each wire, have your meter set to 2000 ac volts setting, and tap the tip of the sensor with a screw driver rapidly. See what the readng is. you will have to tap the tip about 10 times in less then 8 seconds to get a good reading.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i have the pigtail. ok, let me try test

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
after you test the sensor out of the engine, put it into the car an retest with it in the car umeing the pig tail and have some one try to start the car, see if the readings are the same as the tap test readings please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im not getting ang reading with tap test

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
I have a sensor here with me, and I do get a readiung a-on ac and dc vlts, so can you have your helper turn the enige over again and test with the pig tail and see if you get a reading with your meter set to DC volts please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, sensor back in motor, extra pigtail hooked up to sensor and meter. 6 pin and 2 pin connectors plugged into ICM. meter set to dc volts, i get nothing when i crank motor

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

can you pull the sensor out of the engine, and redo the tap test opn both ac and dc volts please? Make sure you are useing a steel screw driver " if it is good for the test, it will stick to the tip of the sensor" and see if you get a reading on either setting? If you do not, then you have to have a bad meter or a bad sensor. I have a sensor here with me, and I get a reading on both settings so you shoudl too. It is not unheard of to get more then one bad sensor from the same auto parts store.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i can do that. im using both of my meters just to double check the readings. hang on and ill pull the sensor and retry tap test

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

nothing on ac or dc from either meter

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Then that sensir HAS to be bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my wife is in town now. im trying to get ahold of her and have her pick me up anouther sensor from a different store

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Try to get a bdw, or an ac delco sensor. you can get these from orielly's auto parts, or advance auto. I know you are disapointed, and tired of all this testing, but unless you r meter is bad, the sensor has to be bad. I was not sure if wireing the 96 sensor up would work, but it was worth a try.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the last 2 sensors were BWD from orielly's. advance didnt have any in stock. im going to call auto zone and napa and try to find another sensor. i doubt that both of my meters are bad, im getting good readings from them both on other tests

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

auto zone has a duralast brand sensor

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will you be available latter today or tomorrow morning?

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I will be in and out tonight, but will be back online around 11 am in the morning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok talk to ya then

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, i got a good sensor. i did the tap test for ac and dc volts, got a reading so put it in block used pigtail and cranked motor got higher readings than i did on tap test. im still not getting any spark at the plugs useing a spark tester

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Then please do this test for me again, with your meter set to ac volts, see if you get the same readings testing pins A and E again, with the crank sensor plugged in correctly " not witht he ect pig tail you used to tap test with" and see if you get a good reading withthe engine turning over please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, ill do it tomorrow morning. its dark out now and im working on the car in the yard. you want to see if the readings are the same at A & E as they are from the pigtail, correct?

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Yes, if they are, make sure everything is conected like it should be, and redo the relearn, do not just bump the starter, but let it turn over a second and then leave the switch in the run positoin. The light should flash this time for the full 10 minutes. Then turn the switch off when the light stops flashing and then see if it will start.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, ill give that a try first thing in the morning and let you know what happens. just for my information, ive noticed that the light doesnt flash, it stays on. does that matter?

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
I am 90% sure that your problems are over, so if you want to reconect everything tonight, and do the relearn, I see no reason not to. It shoudl start up now. The reason it woudl not start befopreis due to the pcm not seeing a crank signal, now that we know you hae a good sensor in it it should start and run after the after doing the relearn.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

id love to reconnect and do the relearn tonight but im working outside in my yard and dont have any lights to see what im doing

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
I understand, Do you understand why it woudl not do the relaern before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i wasnt getting any signal from the sensor

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
That is correct. But now you have a good sensor in it so it shoudl work correctly the next time you do the relearn. Make sure to disconcet the negutive battery cable for about 10 minutes before you do the relearn.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, ill get things hooked up and do the relearn in the morning. ill have my fingers crossed that i can send you good news after i get it done

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Soounds good, chat with you in the morning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

have a good night. chat with you tomorrow

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Good night.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i did ac voltage test on pins A & E got same readings as i did on pigtail. connected everything up. disconnected battery for 15 minutes and reconnected it. cranked motor over a couple times and left key in run posistion. waited 10 minutes and theft light never went out, i waited an aditional 5 minutes and light still is on. i tried to start motor and have no spark

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

Do you have no spark on any of the plug wires? Did you turn the switch to start , run start and back to run? Or did you just let the enigne turn over for a second or two then leave the switch in the run position?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no spark at any plug wire. tried to turn motor over a couple seconds and left key in run position

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
What I need you to do is pull the coils off of the ignition module " leave the moodule plugged up, and see if you have any oms readings for the two pins into the coils across the two of them please. you can pull just one coil at a time if you want to. you will be testing the cils themself, not the ignition module
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, give me awhile to check them

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im getting zero oms between the pins on both coils

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Now test from the post the wire conects to, to the slot in the coil please, the reading should be more the 8k ohms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im not getting anything on either coil

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

Do you have the two coils form the otherenigne? If you do test them please. Make sure you are useing something that will go into the slot of the coil and makeing contact inside the slot with the metal contact, "I use a paper clip that will fit into the slot". SO you are testing form slot to slot, then from slot to the coil tower on each side of the coil, for a total of three readings on each coil. Make sure your meteris set to ohms.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, i have the other coils. ill check them

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i double checked all 4 coils, 0 oms from slot to slot and no reading from slot to post

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Take another reading form post to post please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no reading from post to post on any coil

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

Double check your meter, you shoudl be getting around a 0.5 from slot to slot on the coils. make sure you have a good conection in the slots of the coils.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

double checked usein both meters, 0 oms slot to slot. no reading slot to post and no reading post to post

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
What are you useing to go into the slots of the coils?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a flat spade connector

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
so are you getting an ol for a reading or 0.0
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Doesyour meter have differant ohms setting such as 20k ,200k, 2000k?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it does

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Please set it to 200k ohms and see what you get for a reading, then go to 2000k please. I just do not see you haveing 4 bad coils.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ive been testing on 200k. it wouldnt surprise me to have 4 bad coils, that would be my luck. ill go retest all 4 again

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
You may wantoto also check them on 20k as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im a step ahead of you on that. iv tested all 4 coils on every oms setting on both meters. i get 0 oms from slot to slot and no reading from slot to post or post to post

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i probably fried the 2 coils along with the ICM from the 96 motor when i hooked them up to the 98 wiring harness. and the coils from the 98 have been sitting out in the weather for a couple months

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Ya you will probable have to get a new module and coils then, you shoudl not have used the 96 parts on your 98, they just are not compatible. make sure to get the parts for a 98 and not the 96, and you should have fire at the plugs. I am sorry it hasd taken so long, but I thought you where useing the 98 parts, not the 96.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i had both ICMs tested the other day, the 98 was good and 96 was bad. i am useing the 98 ICM and coils but im not surprised the coils may be bad. ill take the 98 ICM and have it tested again and buy 2 new coils

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Ok sounds good to me. I hate so speculate, but I believe that the icm is going to be bad as well, you did not get a good reading on it when we tested it the other day. But if it will pass the test " make sure they run the tesat atleast 10 times and it passes all 10 times" then the two coils shoudl be enough.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

had the ICM tested again, it still shows to be good. passed the test 5 times. bought 2 new coils, got them home and got the same readings as the old ones. my meter has an audible continuity setting, im getting a tone between the slots

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it possible that im not getting a good connection on the 6 pin plug? it does look a little worn out and some of the connecters appear to be spread open

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
More then likely the icm is bad, even though it passed the test they ran on it. The anti theft system does not interupt the fire form the coils, it stops the injectors from shooting fuel. I hate to say ait but i believe you need a new module. SOrry it took so long getting back with you today, beeen kind hectic here in my shop.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok,ill try to locate an ICM on monday. dont worry about taking time to reply, i understand you have a shop to run.have a good sunday, ill get back to you on monday

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Have a good weekend, chat with you monday.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

good morning. i took ICM to another parts store and had it checked. they ran the test 5 times and it tested good every time. i got new coils and tested them, i got the same readings on the new ones that i got on the old ones. i replaced the 6 pin pigtail with a new one. did oms test and ac voltage test on pins A & E. with meter set on 2K oms i got a reading of 1.06 and with meter set on 200 setting i got 00.3 ac volts while cranking motor

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
But you still do not have spark correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i didnt check that yet. was just letting you know what i did so far and readings im getting

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
The readings are good, so you should have spark. If you do not, then I will have to say the icm is not fireingt he coils. When they tested it, they did not do an output check on it, so it can still be bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i checked for spark, still nothing on any wire

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Then the module has to be bad. It may be working as far as recognizing the crank sensor, and sending and recieving info from and to the pcm, but the out put to the coils is bad. I hate to have you replace the module, but everything points to it beeing bad, even though it passed the parts store test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is there any way i can test the out put? what are the other 4 wires on the pigtail for? the anti theft light is still on, can that system be bypassed? the light never came on before i changed motors

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.

You can use a test light conected to the two pins under the coil. Use a test light after you have removed the coil, just clip to one pin, and hold the test light tip to the other pin and turn the enign eover, the light shoudl flash when the engine turns over. If it is good, the light will flash kinda fast. If it does not flash at all, conect the clip to a good grond, and test each pin with the test light tip with the engine turning over and see if either one will light the test light.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, from pin to pin and cranking motor, i get nothing. from ground to pin, i get 1 pin on each set light up when i crank motor they do not flash

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i got called into work, so ill have to continue this latter

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Ok Just drop me a line when you are ready, or if you need more help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

with the test results I got with the test light r u thinking the ICM is bad

Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 years ago.
Yes the module is bad. The module shoudl have set a ground signal to the coil to fire it off. You only have a hot lead going to the module. So the module has to be bad.
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i found the problem with my cavalier, it had a bad wire running from the fuse box to the PCM. i repaired the broken wire and the motor started right up. thanks for your help