ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

why does my abs pump growl when i apply brakes after installling abs sensors in both fro

Customer Question

why does my abs pump growl when i apply brakes
after installling abs sensors in both front wheels
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
This is usually caused because of the mounting surface is dirty/rusty or it could be a problem with the bearing hub assembly. I usually install the whole assemblies just because of this problem, I have not had much luck installing just the sensors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i had the right hub replaced when i bought truck. i was told it could be air in sysytem. everything was cleaned when we put sensors in.

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
When does the ABS go off? What speeds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the lights are off the pump only growls when stopping and appling brakes

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
So at the slower almost stoped speed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Ok so the light will come on and eventually stay on is that correct? Do you know what codes are setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no no the light doesn't come on and i don't know the codes it just growls when i'm stopping

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.

There is not a lot more I can tell you this is caused by either the sensor or the hub so if the sensor is new the hub is going to need to be changed, if the right one is fairly new i would replace the left one. There is some testing that could be done but a OHM meter would be needed and access to the ABS unit. Let me know if you want help with this. This would not be caused by air in the system unless one wheel is skidding

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you haven't told me anything i didn't know I can't see you charging me for this

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
I really do not know why you would give me a poor rating I have gave you a couple of things that need to be tried and if you are not willing to do the testing there is no way I can be 100% sure, I can not do the testing. If you want more help just ask
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you have told me everything my local mechanic told me except that i need i new hub. the hub isn't vibrating or causing issue like the one that was replaced. couldn't it be the pump is full of air or the module is bad . the sensors where install new the same why they came out including space an all. I can believe it the hub. I can install a hub myself don't have tools that means i have to have a garage do it and you gys aren't cheap. i'm on limited income ss.

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Well if you do not have testing abilities where are you going to start, the hub causing this is very common, this would not be caused by air in the system so this is either a speed sensor/hub problem or a wire problem to the sensors. Its that simple. Sorry there is no magic answer to this but with out testing you kind of have to go with the most common causes. I have been doing this for 27 years and the hub and sensor combo fixes 99% of these with this exact problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok you say hub how do i know which hub. the inspection station mech replaced the right hub without the sensor we found the wire cut inhalf which we replaced the sensor and since i replace the right wheel i also replaced the sensor in the left wheel . are you saying i now have a problem with the left hub

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.

If the right is new the left I would say is the most likely to be the cause but there is no way to be sure, so the wire was cut on the new hub or was that a used hub?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the wire was cut after the new hub was installed causing the light to light, i replaced both sensors and put ligh out. now the brakes growl when applied when stopping

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Well in any case if this were mine and I could not do testing I would start at that hub that has not been replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you haven't help me at all i'll take truck back to the dealer

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.

Thats fine if you do not have the abilities to do any kind of testing you should be paying a mechanic full price to do it anyway. Good luck and thanks for the rating.