17 years GM tech
17 years GM tech, GM master tech
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, 15 years with Saturn
26401883

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic LS: were is the knock sensor

Customer Question

were is the knock sensor on a 2007 chevy silverado 4x4 with a 4.8lt
Category: Chevy
Expert:  17 years GM tech replied 2 years ago.

17 years GM tech :

Hello and thank you for your post. I am a master certified GM tech. If I can help you solve this today then I will, lets begin

17 years GM tech :

ok there are 2 knock sensors on this vehicle

17 years GM tech :

the drivers side is bank 1, the pass side is bank 2

17 years GM tech :

bank 1 sensor is located as shown in this picture...

17 years GM tech :

Full Size Image

it's item #4

17 years GM tech :

bank 2 sensor is as shown here...

17 years GM tech :

Full Size Image

17 years GM tech :

its item #2

17 years GM tech :

incidentally there is a bulletin that may apply to these sensors that I will copy to you here...

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The customer concern may be a lack of power and a ses light on.

During diagnosis a technician may or may not find DTC P0326 P0328 or P0333.

When accelerating and low power is noticed, the knock retard may be seen as high as 15 degrees.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete the current SI diagnostics for any trouble code or symptom found. If DTCs P0326 P0328 P0333 are found, and low power has been verified, inspect for a wire harness chafing concern.

The wiring harness located on the left side of the engine may contact the front differential mounting bracket. Repair and reposition the wiring harness as needed. Evaluate the repairs and verify the knock retard readings are not excessive.

17 years GM tech :

not sure if this is helpful but hopefully it will get you going in the right direction

17 years GM tech :

let me know if you need additional help

Customer: the two photos you sent me do not exist on this truck it is a 2007 Chevy silverado classic 1500 4x4 with a 4.8 lt and both mounting brackets are in the block for the sensors but no sensor and no wire from the wiring harness
17 years GM tech : Is it possible that the engine was replaced with a different engine? Thing is, these pics are straight off the gm website
17 years GM tech : Can you give me the vin# XXXXX I can double check the options?
Customer: One owner truck straight off the lot sence new that's why I asked you were they we're I had the same diagram as you sent me I've always worked on all my trucks I'm not a certified mechanic but I'm smarter than the average person I can't figure it out
17 years GM tech :

OK. Can you give me the vin #?

Customer: 2gcek13v171109255
17 years GM tech :

ok. I just ran the vin to verify the options and that diagram should be correct.

17 years GM tech :

let me check the next and previous model years and see if the location changed

17 years GM tech :

ok, in 2006 the knock sensors are located under the intake manifold...

17 years GM tech :

here is the pictures,

17 years GM tech :

Full Size Image

17 years GM tech :

Full Size Image

17 years GM tech :

you must remove the intake to get at them but maybe you can peek under and see the wires to verify the positioning

17 years GM tech, GM master tech
Experience: 25 years automotive experience, 15 years with Saturn