GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

The rear disc brakes on this 2000 S10 Blazer dont hold...when

The rear disc brakes on this 2000 S10 Blazer don't hold...when I have it up on a rack, and brake torque it, the fronts stop, but the rears keep turning. How do you adjust the rears?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Confirm that you have adjusted the rear brake shows, if not then you need to use a flat screwdriver type tool and insert it into the hol at the bottom of the backing plate and move the adjuster to extend out the shoes.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The shoe is inside the rotor itself. , a dual system if you will.

Are talking about the regular brakes then?
Does the pedal sink to the floor?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The brakes are rear discs. It has a good pedal.

Ok, are the calipers moving at all when you do hit the brakes?

Sorry, somehow I got on the parking brake system which still is a shoe inside.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the brakes work partially. They just won't lock the wheels like they should.
You may be looking at the dynamic rear proportioning in action. Tell me, if you are driving the vehicle, what happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It seems to stop fine on the road. However in addition to the brakes failing to lock the rear wheels when they're in the air, the parking brake won't hold the vehicle in drive, even though the park brake pedal stops mid-way down.

If you pull the cable on each side, do you feel the brake shoe inside grab?

Did you adjust the shoe inside the rotor for the parking brake?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven't tried to pull the park brake cables. I can try that. If it slows the wheel, what does that tell me?

Regarding the shoe inside the rotor, I don't think this Blazer has that...? Isn't that a Ford set up?

I just remember that 80's GMs with rear discs, like Camaros and Firebirds, had a tendency for the rear discs to get out of adjustment. The fix had something to do with the parking brake. Does this Blazer have the same set up?

I am looking to see how much you have to pull it. If you pull a little and they lock up, then they are ok. Otherwise something is bottoming out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I repeat my last question....1980's GM rear disc brakes had an adjustment function. Does this 2000 Blazer have the same set up, and do you know what the adjustment function was?

There is no asjustment function other than hitting the brakes to get the pads set close to the rotors.

So if the sliders are sticking, this could be the result.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.