Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and models.
3827149

02 malibu 2.2 balance shaft alignment marks

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if this helps.
  1. Install the balance shaft drive sprocket.

Important: If the balance shafts are not properly timed to the engine, the engine may vibrate or make noise.

2. Install the balance shaft drive chain with the colored links lined up on with the marks on the balance shaft drive sprockets and the crankshaft sprocket. There are three colored links on the chain. Two links are of matching colors, and one link is of a unique color. Use the following procedure to line up the links with the sprockets:

Orient the chain so that the colored links are visible.

3. Place the uniquely colored link (1) so that it lines up with the timing mark on the intake side balance shaft sprocket.
  4. Working clockwise around the chain, place the first matching colored link (2) in line with the timing mark on the crankshaft drive sprocket. (approximately 6 o'clock position on the crank sprocket)
  5. Place the chain (3) on the water pump drive sprocket. The alignment is not critical.
  6. Align the last matching colored link (4) with the timing mark on the exhaust side balance shaft drive sprocket.
2002 Chevrolet Cavalier L4-2.2L VIN F
Timing Chain Service and Repair, Procedures: Timing Chain, Sprockets, and/or Tensioner Replacement

Timing Chain, Sprockets, and/or Tensioner Replacement

Removal Procedure

Tool Required

J 45027 Tensioner Tool

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the camshaft cover.
3. Remove the No. 1 cylinder spark plug.
4. Rotate the crankshaft in the engine rotational direction clockwise, until the No. 1 piston is at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke.
5. Raise and support the vehicle.
6. Remove the engine front cover.
7. Lower the vehicle.
8. Remove the camshaft cover.

16_gc02jbody_6-058c.png
View Full Image

Important: The timing chain tensioner must be removed to unload chain tension before the timing chain is removed. If not removed, the timing chain will become cocked and it will be difficult to remove.

9. Remove the timing chain tensioner.

85_gc02jbody_6-060a.png
View Full Image

10. Remove the upper timing chain guide.

24_gc02jbody_6-060b.png
View Full Image

11. Use a 24 mm wrench to hold the camshaft from turning.

23_gc02jbody_6-060c.png
View Full Image

12. Remove the exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt and discard.
13. Remove the exhaust camshaft sprocket.

83_gc02jbody_6-060d.png
View Full Image

14. Remove the timing chain tensioner guide.

85_gc02jbody_6-060e.png
View Full Image

15. Remove the engine mount
16. Remove the fixed timing chain guide access plug.

86_gc02jbody_6-060f.png
View Full Image

17. Remove the fixed timing chain guide.

25_gc02jbody_6-061a.png
View Full Image

18. Remove the intake camshaft sprocket bolt and discard.
19. Remove the intake camshaft sprocket.
20. Remove the timing chain through the top of the cylinder head.

26_gc02jbody_6-061b.png
View Full Image

21. Remove the crankshaft sprocket.

26_gc02jbody_6-061c.png
View Full Image

22. Remove the oil nozzle and bolt.
23. Remove the balance shaft chain tensioner.

27_gc02jbody_6-062a.png
View Full Image

24. Remove the adjustable balance shaft drive chain guide.

28_gc02jbody_6-062b.png
View Full Image

25. Remove the small balance shaft drive chain guide.

29_gc02jbody_6-062c.png
View Full Image

26. Remove the upper balance shaft drive chain guide.

43_gc02jbody_6-063a.png
View Full Image

27. Remove the balance shaft drive chain.

Installation Procedure

34_gc02jbody_6-063b.png
View Full Image

Notice: Refer to Fastener specs.

Important: If the balance shafts are not properly timed to the engine, the engine may vibrate and make noise.

1. Install the upper balance shaft chain guide.
Tighten the upper balance shaft chain guide bolts to 15 Nm (133 inch lbs.).

30_gc02jbody_6-063c.png
View Full Image

2. Install the small balance shaft chain guide.
3. Tighten the balance shaft chain guide bolts.
Tighten the chain guide bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).

56_gc02jbody_6-064a.png
View Full Image

4. Install the adjustable balance shaft drive chain guide.

31_gc02jbody_6-064b.png
View Full Image

5. Turn the tensioner plunger 90 degrees in its bore and compress the plunger until a paper clip can be inserted through the hole in the plunger body and into hole in the tensioner plunger.
6. Install the timing chain tensioner.
7. Tighten the chain tensioner bolts.
Tighten the chain tensioner bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).
8. Remove the paper clip from the balance shaft drive chain tensioner.
9. Install the oil nozzle and bolt.

Tighten
Tighten the oil nozzle blot to 10 Nm (89 lb in).

68_gc02jbody_6-064c.png
View Full Image

10. Install the crankshaft sprocket with timing mark at the 5 o'clock position.

71_gc02jbody_6-065a.png
View Full Image

11. Lower the timing chain through the opening in the top of the cylinder head. Carefully ensure that the chain goes around both sides of the cylinder block bosses (1, 2).

42_gc02jbody_6-065b.png
View Full Image

12. Install the intake camshaft sprocket with the INT diamond at the 2 o'clock position.
13. Hand tighten a NEW intake camshaft sprocket bolt.
14. Route the timing chain around the crankshaft sprocket with the matching color link aligning with the timing mark.
15. Route the timing chain around the intake camshaft sprocket with the uniquely colored link (1) aligning with the INT diamond.

32_gc02jbody_6-065c.png
View Full Image

16. Install the timing chain tensioner guide through the opening in the top of the cylinder head.

Tighten the timing chain tensioner guide bolt to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).

33_gc02jbody_6-066a.png
View Full Image

17. Install the exhaust camshaft sprocket with the timing chain silver link (3) at EXH triangle aligned at the 10 o'clock position.

47_gc02jbody_6-066b.png
View Full Image

18. Use a 24 mm wrench to rotate the camshaft slightly, until exhaust sprocket aligns with the camshaft.
19. Hand tighten the NEW exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt.

34_gc02jbody_6-066c.png
View Full Image

20. Install the fixed timing chain guide.

Tighten
Tighten the fixed timing chain bolts to 15 Nm (133 inch lbs.).

99_gc02jbody_6-066d.png
View Full Image

21. Verify that all the colored links are aligned with the appropriate exhaust (1), intake (2), and crankshaft marks (3).

26_gc02jbody_6-067a.png
View Full Image

22. apply sealant, GM P/N 12345382 (Canadian P/N 10953489) to thread and install the timing chain guide bolt access hole plug

Tighten
Tighten the access hole plug to 90 Nm (66 lb ft).

23. Install the engine mount.

50_gc02jbody_6-068a.png
View Full Image

24. inspect the timing chain tensioner. If the timing chain tensioner, O-ring, or washer is damaged, replace the timing chain tensioner.
25. Measure the timing chain tensioner assembly from end to end.

A new tensioner should be supplied in the fully compressed non-active state. A tensioner in the compressed state will measure 72 mm (2.83. in) (a) from end to end. A tensioner in the active state will measure 85 mm (3.35 in) (a) from end to end.

35_gc02jbody_6-067c.png
View Full Image

26. If the timing chain tensioner is not in the compressed state, perform the following steps:

26.1.Remove the piston assembly from the body of the timing chain tensioner by pulling in out.
26.2.Install the J 45027-2 (2) into a vise.
26.3.Install the notch end of the piston assembly into the J 45027-2 (2).
26.4.Using the J 45027-1 (1), turn the ratchet cylinder into the piston.

27. Inspect the bore of the tensioner body for dirt, debris, and damage. If any damage appears, replace the tensioner. Clean dirt or debris out with a lint free cloth.
28. Install the compressed piston assembly back into the timing chain tensioner body until it stops at the bottom of the bore. Do not compress the piston assembly against the bottom of the bore. If the piston assembly is compressed against the bottom of the bore, it will activate the tensioner, which will then need to be reset again.
29. At this point the tensioner should measure approximately 72 mm (2.83 in) (a) from end to end. If the tensioner does not read 72 mm (2.83 in) (a) from the end to end repeat steps 25.1 and 25.4.

54_gc02jbody_6-068b.png
View Full Image

30. Inspect to ensure all dirt and debris is removed from the timing chain tensioner threaded hole in the cylinder head.
31. Install the new timing chain tensioner assembly.

Tighten
Tighten the timing chain tensioner to 75 Nm (55 ft. lbs.).

32. The timing chain tensioner is released by compressing it 2 mm (0.079 inch) which will release the locking mechanism in the ratchet. To release the timing chain tensioner, use a suitable tool with a rubber tip on the end. Feed the tool down through the cam drive chest to rest on the cam chain. Then give a sharp jolt diagonally downwards to release the tensioner.

55_gc02jbody_6-068c.png
View Full Image

33. Use a 24 mm wrench to hold the camshaft.

Tighten
Tighten the NEW camshaft bolts to 85 Nm (63 ft. lbs.) plus 30 degrees.

85_gc02jbody_6-060a.png
View Full Image

34. Install the upper timing chain guide.

Tighten
Tighten the upper guide bolts to 10 Nm (89 lb in).

35. Install the camshaft cover
36. Raise the vehicle.
37. Install the engine front cover.
38. Lower the vehicle.
39. Connect negative battery cable.

Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.

Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Qualified to repair all makes and models.