Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet Impala: 2004 Impala wont start due to security issue.

2004 Impala wont start due to security issue. How can I bypass this myself?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Here are instructions to bypass, it might not be as easy as you were hoping but only option I know of. You can also try following security relearn procedure: Bump key in start position for a second, leave in on position for 10 minutes, off 5 seconds, on 10 minutes, off 5 seconds, on 10 minutes, then start. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

-

http://db.tt/d4l5zYgd

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Once I find the resistance value where do I install the bypass resisitor? I see a few relays in the picture. Do I install this resistor between the yellow (computer side) and the black without cutting the black wire?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You will want to install between black and yellow wire but you will want to also use relays to have bypass work correctly. The yellow wire needs to be cut but not the black.Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What box is that where the ign 1 + and the ign 3 - are coming from? Is there an easy place to intercept these wires other than at this box? I understand I need to purchase 2 ea. normal relays?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You can use IGN+ for both relays which you can get from a fuse or ignition switch and correct, use two regular relays. If you remove cover below steering column you should be able to locate wires where they come down. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what color and size the ign 1 + and the ign 3 - wires are which are under the column? Is it true that I can substitute the ign 3 - on the diagram for a ign +?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The pink wire at ignition switch you can use as ign voltage and correct, you can use this iwre to power both relays. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok this now makes sense, I will start tomorrow will you be available and how long can I keep this dialog active? Thanks for your help and have a good night!

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'll be available anytime after noon. You can reply to this answer at any time the same way you are now, just make sure you replace to this answer instead of opening a new one. Let me know hwo it goes or if you run into questions. Thanks again and also have a good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good...also why is it not a good idea to just connect the resistor directly to the yellow wire going to the BCM? Do I have to use the relays do to safety or maybe running the battery down etc.?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That way should work but security light would stay on so relays would would keep security light off. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

I am trying to get an accurate reading for the resistor. In diode mode I get about 880 to 925. With the meter in the 200 ohm range with reversed leads i get 21 to 196 ohms. In the diagram I notice what appears to be a transistor with the arrow pointing out like a npn. Can you help me make sense of this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan,

are you in today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Relist: Other. Unable to contact Dan at this time. Is anyone able to help at this time?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Did you get it figured out? You should only be watching what resistance reading is when turning key in on/start position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am getting 1.6M ohms or when I switch to diode mode on meter I get 823. Looking at the diagram in the manual I have it shows a transistor and two resistors. I dont think I am getting the correct reading that I am looking for. I do have the three wires running together coming out of the switch assy in the dash. I cut the yellow and scrapped the black and am connected to the yellow wire going to the key and other lead is on the bare spot on the black wire. Key is on and battery is diconnected. Is that truly a transistor with the arrow pointing to gnd?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
There is only one resistor shown in picture, the 3 lines is a symbol for ground. Positive lead from voltmeter should go on key side of yellow wire after wire is cut and black lead of voltmeter should go on orange/black wire then get resistance reading and buy the same resistor. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan, it seem like 1.6 Meg ohms is too high. That is not in the normal range of what I have seen on the internet. I am refering to my volume 3 of the WCI Chevy 2004 Impala manual which is the authentic technical service info. There are two resistors in series with a transistor on the security sensor lead inside the passlock sensor. Not sure if you have the same 3 book set. this is located on page 11-191 of the theft deterent chapter. Technical page number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN On this page is the info I am speaking of. My question is what the meter should be set to...diode or 2M and is 1.6Meg ok?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I've only done this proccess one time and I beleive I used a 22k ohm resistor. I use alldata which is a online manual, I do not have the books. I do not believe resistance should be over 30k ohms. So if you cut the some of the outside of black wire without actually cutting wire so you can probe metal part of wire and then cut yellow wire completely and moniter resistance on those two wires while turning key into start position and you should get a specific resistance value. Then use that ohm resistor. Let me know if you have questions or how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am getting 1.6 Million ohms which is far more than 30 thousand ohms. Should I try this size resistor? Also, do you have an email address so I can send a copy of my diagram to you. I tried word in this application and it wont accept my word doc.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I would try that resistor since its the reading your getting. You can open a account at www.dropbox.com to upload document. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database