Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Most of our fleet is chevy.
17254274

CHEVY SILVERADO: SERVICE DIESEL EXHAUST FLUID LIGHT IS ON AND

Customer Question

SERVICE DIESEL EXHAUST FLUID LIGHT IS ON AND WILL NOT CLEAR
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 2 years ago.

Jettadan1 :

Hi, I'm Daniel. Welcome to Just Answer. You cannot ask to many questions. Only positive feedback needed while in info request. Lets get started.

Jettadan1 :

hello is it cold there? tell me everything about your conditions?

Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 2 years ago.
Jettadan1 :

Jettadan1 :

Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 2 years ago.
You have a recall Bulletin No.: 11001A

Date: August 05, 2011

Subject: 11001A - Diesel Exhaust Fluid Calibration Enhancement
Models:
2010-2011 Chevrolet Express
2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD
2010-2011 GMC Savana
2011 GMC Sierra HD
With a 6.6L Turbo Duramax Diesel Engine (LML/LGH)

Supercede:
The Service Procedure in this bulletin has been revised to include the following statement. Note: If a customer comments about a diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) low or speed limited soon message that currently will not clear of the DEF low or speed limited soon latch message appears soon after programming the engine control module (ECM), refer to the most current version of PIP4864 in SI. Please discard all copies of bulletin 11001, issued July 2011.

Condition

General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Recall involving certain 2010-2011 model year Chevrolet Express, GMC Savana; 2011 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD vehicles equipped with a 6.6L Turbo Duramax Diesel Engine (LML/LGH). The Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) injection system may not operate as intended. If this occurs the Malfunction Indicator Lamp may illuminate, a DEF system warning may be displayed in the Driver Information Center, and vehicle speed could be limited.

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2010-2011 model year Chevrolet Express, GMC Savana; 2011 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD vehicles equipped with a 6.6L Turbo Duramax Diesel Engine (LML/LGH).
Important
Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty system. Not all vehicles may be involved.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information

No parts are required for this recall.

Service Procedure
Note
If a customer comments about a diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) low or speed limited soon latched message that currently will not clear or the DEF low or speed limited soon latch message appears soon after programming the engine control module (ECM), refer to the most current version of PIP4864 in SI.

Engine Control Module Programming

Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) or Tech 2(R) and TIS2WEB with the calibration update. When using a MDI or Tech 2(R) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version. Use TIS2WEB on or after 07/18/11 to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.

For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal.
1. Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics(R) PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain proper battery voltage during programming.
2. Reprogram the engine control module (ECM). Refer to SI and Service Programming System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions.

1. Connect the MDI or Tech 2(R) to the vehicle. If using MDI, connect to programming terminal with a cable (USB or LAN).
2. Select J2534 MDI or J2534 Tech 2(R) and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen.
3. Select ECM Engine Control Module-Programming from the Supported Controllers screen,
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

3. Clear all DTCs.

Note
If a programming failure occurs, refer to Engine Control Module Recovery Steps in this bulletin.

Engine Control Module Recovery Steps
1. Disconnect the programming device.
2. Power down the control modules connected to the GMLAN bus by disconnecting the positive battery cable for 2 minutes.
3. Reconnect the positive battery cable.
4. Determine which programming device will be used to perform the recovery steps.

- If using MDI, connect to the programming station or Notebook using a cable (LAN). Proceed to Step 5 and then Steps 6-8.
- If using a Tech 2(R) proceed to Steps 6-8.

5. Reboot the programming station or Notebook. This is to make sure nothing is in memory.

Note
Selecting Replace and Reprogram from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Process Screen is REQUIRED because some of the calibrations may be erased from the initial attempt to reprogram the module.

6. Reprogram the engine control module. Select Replace and Reprogram from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Process Screen.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the programming event.
8. Clear all DTCs using GDS 2, GDS or the Tech 2(R).

Note
Repeat Steps 1-8 above IF another programming failure occurs. If the second attempt to reprogram in unsuccessful when following the steps 1-8 above then contact Techline Customer Support Center.

9. CALIFORNIA, CONNECTICUT, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, OREGON, VERMONT, & WASHINGTON VEHICLES ONLY: Install a Recall Identification Label. Also, for California vehicles complete a "Proof of Correction" certificate upon recall completion.

Recall Identification Label - California/Connecticut/Maryland/Massachusetts/Maine/
Oregon/Vermont/Wyoming/Washington Vehicles Only

Place a Recall Identification Label on each vehicle corrected in accordance with the instructions outlined in this Product Recall Bulletin. Each label provides a space to include the recall number and the five-digit dealer code of the dealer performing the recall service. This information may be inserted with a ballpoint pen.

Put the Recall Identification Label on a clean and dry surface of the radiator core support in an area that will be visible to people servicing the vehicle.

When installing the Recall Identification Label, be sure to pull the tab to allow adhesion of the clear protective covering. Additional Recall Identification Labels for US dealers can be obtained from Dealer Support Materials by ordering on the web from DWD Store, www.gmdealerworld.com, and then click on the DWD Store link. Request Item Number S-1015 when ordering.

Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction nformation

Submit a transaction using the table below.

Customer Notification - For US and Canada

General Motors will notify customers of this recall on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

In order to ensure full protection under the emission warranty, and the right to participate in future recalls, the customer notification letter recommends that customers have their vehicles serviced as soon as possible. It also advises that failure to do so could legally be determined to be lack of proper maintenance. The vehicle may fail a state or local emission inspection test if the recall work is not completed.

Customer Notification - For Export

Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.

Dealer Recall Responsibility

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this recall bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this recall enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

***THE FOLLOWING 2 PARAGRAPHS ARE NOT FOR CANADA OR EXPORT***

When a California emissions recall is completed by a GM dealer, the dealer must provide the vehicle owner a "Proof of Correction Certificate" which the owner may need to present to the California Department Of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when renewing their vehicle registration. Without this correction certificate, the owner may be unable to renew their vehicle registration.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all. you cannot ask to many questions. If you have done recall already let me know.

Thanks Daniel