Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet Suburban: 2001 Chevy Suburban instrument panel cluster

2001 Chevy Suburban instrument panel cluster dies while vehicle is running.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. These vehicles have alot of problems with the circuit boards built into the cluster failing which causes this problem. You will want to moniter power/ground on cluster during problem and if good replace. You can get a used instrument cluster from www.car-parts.com to save money just make sure it has about the same mileage so it will not need to be reprogrammed. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could this possibly be part of a larger problem? Seems like everytime this problems happens the tranny will not shift out of 2nd gear. I stop, turn off the vehicle, the cluster turns on again and the tranny works fine until the cluster dies again a few miles down the road.

If transmission happens every time cluster stops working that would mean you have a loss of power, loss of ground, or data wire is shorting out. The pink wire is ignition power, the black/white wire is ground, and the gray wire at pin A5 is the data wire. If power/ground is good I would bring it to shop for data wire to be diagnosed because it could also be a module shorting out on data circuit. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.