Joe
Joe, Driveability expert
Experience:  23 years import and domestic auto repair.
9843993

Chevy Lumina: My brake lights (tail lights) arent working,

My brake lights (tail lights) aren't working, the one in the rear window does. I changed bulbs and fuse and they still don't work. any ideas?

Hello and thank you for using justanswer! I am here to help you, don't hesitate to ask follow up questions after you receive an answer.

This is a common problem on these vehicles. As you can see from the wire diagram I included, the stop light switch sends power to the center mount stop light through one wire, and to the other stop lights through a different wire which goes through the turn signal switch first, and then to the left and right stop lights. The turn signal switch fails and causes the left and right stop lights to stop working, but the center mount still works. You could try playing around with the hazard switch sometimes this will get them working again. Ultimately the turn signal switch will have to be replaced.graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX hard to replace the turn signal switch? Is that what the diagram is for?

Hello, the diagram is a wire diagram to show you how the brake lights get power. The switch takes about 2 hours to replace, and you need a steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel to get at the switch. It's not such a do it yourself job, but not impossible.

The switch itself is $160 if you have cruise control, $100 if it doesn't have cruise control.