Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

Chevrolet Suburban: The Service Stabilitrak and Traction Control

Customer Question

The Service Stabilitrak and Traction Control lights came on our 2008 Suburban while going down a mountain pass. Also the engine light. Our local mechanic said there is something going on with Cylinder 4 and that it needs a valve replacement. Does that sound right?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi,welcome to Just Answer.

if there is a check engine light on and a fault found within the engine this can cause the stabilitrak light as well as traction lights to come on like this.

If the technician/mechanic has tested the engine properly and found an issue mechanically with a valve then it does need corrected and should correct the issues described here,in some cases this can be expensive to repair depending on what is found at fault.

I have seen some of these engines have faults mehcnially with the lifters and cause this issue as well so you may want it double checked to make sure it is a valve at fault and not another component like a faulty lifter causing these issues here.

Let me know if you need anything else,don't forget to rate my help,3 to 5 stars is appreciated as well as positive feedback.Thanks Pete.
Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 14 years GM dealer Technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is the valve, does it sound right that it could take 7 to 10 days and cost $2,000? Can I check back with you when I hear from the technician in about 3 hours (he had to take the cap off the valve)?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You can come back and post to me at any time needed.If the mechanic is backed up on work or if the valves are on back order then it can take this long to get this repair done and it can cost this high as the top of the engine has to be taken apart to fix this valve issue here.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I heard back from my local technician. He said there is something wrong with the #4 valve spark plug cylinder. There is a large substance (probably carbon) build up. It is running badly (25 lbs of pressure instead of the normal 150 lbs). They tried switching the fuel injector to another cylinder, but that worked so they know it's not the fuel injector. He said they need to look further into the motor, so he suggested I contact the Chevy dealer.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If there is low compression like this here then it does need checked into further to see what is causing the low compression,most common can be a damaged valve in the cylinder head.The compression test was a good test to have done as this shows there is a mechanical fault with the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help. The dealership said this will likely be covered under the power train warranty (the car has 56,000 miles), so that's good.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Thats great to hear,let me know if you need anything else in the future,thanks Pete.