Bill
Bill, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Master Technician
50714430

my silverado makes a clicking noise under the dash but yesterday

my silverado makes a clicking noise under the dash but yesterday only one side would put out cold air the other side hot,a restart would solve the problem with the air but it still makes a clicking noise,what could it be
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

THis is commonly caused by a failed a/c temperature actuator. When the actuators internal sensor fails, the actuator will often move back and forth and "hunt" for the correct position. Which side of the dash was it blowing hot on? The left side is relatively easy however if it is the passenger side, it requires dash removal to access.

Bill

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that is what i ask for, the part i mean
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.

I was asking which side of the dash was blowing hot... the left or the right side?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Left side
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.

Ok,

There are several actuators in the dash however your left side has failed, should be replaced, and is likely the noise as well. Remove the screws from the right side under dash hush panel if your truck has one. The actuator is on the bottom near the center of the hvac case. There are two 5.5mm screws that hold it on. You can also put your hand on the actuator when the noise is present and feel if that is the actuator making the noise.

Bill

graphicgraphic

Bill, Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Accept
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully it was the same actuator making the noise as causing the hot air on the drivers side.

Thanks

Bill

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I have remove dash
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
For the left side? No, just the hush panel and the actuator as in the pictures above.