Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z71: i have a 2002 chevy avalanche

i have a 2002 chevy avalanche z71 5.3..i have a check engine and the code is reading p0446.. evap... it feels like the car spends more gas since the code and also everytime i open the gas cap to fill up it it feels as if there is pressure in the gas tank or something beacuse noise comes out of it.. a noise when something has pressure and you let it out of a small hole thats what the sound is like..

Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

This code typically sets when there is a problem in the evap vent solenoid valve. This solenoid controls venting of the fuel vapors in the tank, so the tank may be holding pressure or a vacuum. Replacing the vent valve is the fix for this problem. The vent valve is located near the charcoal canister on the drivers side of the vehicle, underneath near the front of the fuel tank.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do i have to drop the fuel tank to replace it?

The fuel tank does not need to be removed. The vent solenoid is located on the frame crossmember near the front of the tank. See picture.