Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Silverado 1500: I have a 1998 z71 4x4 and the front

I have a 1998 z71 4x4 and the front end does not seem to be engaging, my buddy a journeyman mechanic said it might be what he called the dong, because that is what it looks like, it pushes into the front axle to engage the front end, how do I diagnose and repair?
if you get under the front diff assembly does the actuator look aluminum colored or is it plastic and black ? # XXXXX in this picture.also do you have a test light or a multi meter?graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is black plastic, the switch inside the cab is working and the truck feels like it is turning the transfer case, however the wheels are not getting the power!
ok with it in 4X4 does the axle to the front diff spin when moving ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I get back to you on this?
sure if the front axle is locking and its just the front diff is not locking the front axles to the driveshaft then we can do a few quick tests to see why its not locking the front