Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

I have a 2008 Chev Implala LS 3.5L . When I turn-on the A/C

I have a 2008 Chev Implala LS 3.5L . When I turn-on the A/C it'll get cool/cold then it'll turn it self off and on without me touching the button. I brought a new control unit and I still have the problem. Is this an electrical problem ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. I will do my best to help you with your question.

.

.

****You have the hit happy face or a high rating for me to get paid for the answer.*****

.

.

If you need any more on it just let me know. Thanks

..

About your vehicle.

.

….

There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern. Here is what it states.

A/C - System Unable to Maintain Desired Temperature

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 07-01-39-008A

Date: April 17, 2009

Subject:
HVAC System Unable to Maintain Desired Temperature Inside Vehicle (Update HVAC Control Module Software)

Models:
2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007-2008 Chevrolet Impala

with Manual Control HVAC System (RPO C67) or Manual Control HVAC System (RPO CJ3)

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update RPO Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-01-39-008 (Section 01 - HVAC).

.

graphic

Condition

Some customers may comment that the temperature selected on the HVAC control head is not being maintained inside the vehicle.

Cause

This condition may be caused by the temperature doors losing their positions.

Correction

Important
There are two calibrations part numbers that are valid for HVAC. Read the descriptions and RPO Codes to determine the correct calibration for your vehicle.

A new calibration has been released that periodically relearns the temperature door positions and prevents the doors from becoming lost. Technicians are to reprogram the HVAC control module with the updated software calibration using SPS. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB.

It is recommended that the HVAC actuators be recalibrated after the HVAC control module software is updated. Refer to Actuator Recalibration in the HVAC Control Module Programing and Setup section of SI for more information. When completed, the command state for the actuators will change from "None" to "On".

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can it program itself ? I did nothing and now my A/C is working. Thanks !

Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks

.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,Can I go to the dealer and get this program for .4 hour labor ? Thanks !

.

.

.

.

That is if it were under warranty. It seems that most times they will want to get the full hour and call it "diagnose and flash", but if your a good customer they may give you a break.

Thanks

Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience: 29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,I took my 2008 Chevrolet into Joseph Chevrolet in Cincinnati, Ohio with your answer/paperwork to my a/c problem. They did nothing but tell me it would cost $245-$650 to find the problem and fix it. I asked them what about what you said about reprogramming the a/c module control . They said they didn't know if that was the problem. They charge me $96.00 and did nothing. Are you a GM mechanic ? They said GM has "NO" mechanics online....
Sorry to hear that. .
.

I have worked for numerous GM dealerships including Chevy. They are in business to make money and I can not be held resposible for what they charge fo diagnose any malfunctions in any of their vehicles. I am sure that the factory would not be happy with them for doing that. I would try to get a factory rep on the phone and see if they can help. I don't have a number for that , (toll free) and the dealership should give it to you without any problems.

.
.
They had a recall on some, here is the letter to the owners.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

It was only in effect until Aug. 2009 though.
.
.

It may be best to get an area factory rep for that area, by phone and see what the manufacturer may do as far as covering to cost of it.

.
.

Here is the bulletin.
.

Campaign - A/C Control Module Reprogramming

# 08266: Customer Satisfaction - Reduced Heating and Cooling-Reprogram Module - (Aug 12, 2008)

Subject:
08266 -- Reduced Heating and Cooling - Reprogram - Module - (Aug 12, 2008) Models:
2008 Chevrolet Impala

With Dual Zone Manual Climate Control (RPO CJ3)

THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL AUGUST 31, 2009.

.

.

Condition

Certain 2008 model year Chevrolet Impala vehicles equipped with dual zone manual climate control (RPO CJ3) may have software that does not allow the heating and air conditioning system to deliver maximum cold or maximum hot output. If this occurs, the vehicle may not warm or cool as intended.

.

.

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the HVAC control head module.

Vehicles Involved

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Involved are certain 2008 model year Chevrolet Impala vehicles equipped with dual zone manual climate control (RPO CJ3) and built within the VIN breakpoints shown above.

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the GM Vehicle Inquiry System (GMVIS). Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

.
.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

- US dealers - GM DealerWorld Recall Information
- Canadian dealers - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

.
.

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries.

Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Parts Information

No parts are required for the program.

Service Procedure

Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) or Tech 2(R) scan tool and TIS2WEB with the calibration update. Use TIS2WEB on or after 07/30/08 to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.

Service Programming System (SPS)

For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal.

Review the information below to ensure proper programming protocol.

Important:
^ DO NOT program a control module unless you are directed by a service procedure or you are directed by a General Motors Corporation service bulletin. Programming a control module at any other time will not permanently correct a customer's concern.
^ It is essential that the Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) or Tech 2(R) and the TIS terminal are equipped with the latest software before performing (SPS).
^ Due to the time requirements of programming a controller, it is recommended that an external power source be used to maintain system voltage. Stable battery voltage is critical during programming. Any fluctuation, spiking, over voltage or loss of voltage will interrupt programming. To ensure trouble-free programming, GM recommends using one of the following external power sources:
- A Midtronic PCS charger.
- A fully charged 12V jumper or booster pack disconnected from the AC voltage supply.
- Some modules will require additional programming/setup events performed before or after programming.
- Some vehicles may require the use of a CANDi module for programming.
- Review the appropriate service information for these procedures.
- DTCs may set during programming. Clear DTCs after programming is complete.
- Clearing powertrain DTCs will set the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) system status indicators to NO.

Ensure the following conditions are met before programming a control module:

- Flex Fuel (E85) Vehicles
- The fuel composition learn function is inactive. Programming with the fuel composition learn active will result in fuel trim DTCs.
- If necessary, drive the vehicle until the scan tool indicates that the fuel composition learn is inactive.

Vehicle System Voltage

- There is not a charging system concern. All charging system concerns must be repaired before programming a control module.
- Battery voltage is greater than 12 volts but less than 16 volts. The battery must be fully charged before programming the control module.
- Turn OFF or disable any system that may put a load on the vehicles battery, such as the following components:
- Twilight sentinel
- Interior lights
- Daytime running lights (DRL) - Applying the parking brake, on most vehicles, disables the DRL system
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems
- Engine cooling fans, radio, etc.

The ignition switch must be in the proper position. SPS prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so

Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:

- The RS-232 communication cable port.
- The connection at the data link connector (DLC)
- The voltage supply circuits

DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.

DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.

1. Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 16 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use approved Midtronics PCS charger, a fully charged 12V jumper, or booster pack disconnected from the AC voltage supply to maintain proper battery voltage during programming.
2. Reprogram the HVAC control module. Refer to SI and Service Programming System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
2.1 Connect the MDI or Tech2(R) to the vehicle.
Important: Select J2534 MDI or Tech 2(R) Legacy Pass-Thru and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen. The J2534 MDI will reprogram the module in less time than the Tech 2(R) scan tool.
2.2. Select HVAC Control Module from the Supported Controllers screen.
2.3. Follow the on-screen instructions. Select HVAC Control Module with Manual Dual Zone (RPO CJ3).
2.4. Select Latest New Calibrations to Enable OAT for use with up level instrument panel (RPO UH8).
3. Using the MDI or Tech 2(R), clear all DTCs if required.

Courtesy Transportation

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Claim Information

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Submit a Product Claim with the information shown above.

Refer to the General Motors WINS Claims Processing Manual for details on Product Recall Claim Submission.

.

.

Customer Notification

General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter shown in this bulletin).

Dealer Program Responsibility

.

.

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, through August 31, 2009.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is inventory, or is in your dealership for service through August 31, 2009, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,I've had the control module was program two days ago. It didn't work ! Now what do I do ? THis has cost me $200.00 and it still not repaired. Thanks !
Does the entire system go off and on or just the blower motor, or compressor?

.
.