Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD: how to clean egr valve 2005 d

how to clean egr valve 2005 duramax
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.
hi
2005 Chevy Truck Silverado 2500 2WD V8-6.6L DSL Turbo VIN 2
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Service and Repair, Procedures: Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System Cleaning

EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR) SYSTEM CLEANING

CAUTION: Avoid breathing fumes and swallowing EGR exhaust deposits when removing components for cleaning as bodily injury may result.

1. Remove the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler tube.
2. Depress the pintle several times using a pencil eraser or other suitable soft instrument. The pintle should move in and out smoothly. Replace the valve if the valve exhibits tendencies to stick.
3. Try to rotate the EGR valve electrical connector housing. Repeat for the coil housing. Replace the valve if the valve exhibits any looseness. Inspect the EGR valve pintle and seat for deposits. Use a cloth or other suitable soft device to remove the deposits. Remove all loose particles. Replace the valve if the deposits are such that the pintle to base interface cannot be cleaned adequately to allow the pintle to seal against the seat. Damage to the powdered metal EGR valve base occurs if cleaned with solvents, sharp tools, wire brush or wheel, or sand blasting. Cleaning by these methods is not recommended.
4. Clean the passages with a wire brush. Remove all loose particles.
5. Install the EGR cooler tube.
after you remove the egr valve..use carb cleaner to clean the valve...then reinstall it
thanks

EGR Valve Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement: Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve

EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR) VALVE REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

27_gc-1401821.png

2. Remove the EGR valve bolts (3).
3. Remove the EGR valve/solenoid assembly (1).
4. Remove and discard the EGR valve/solenoid assembly gasket (2).

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

27_gc-1401821.png

1. Install a NEW EGR valve/solenoid assembly gasket (2).
2. Install the EGR valve/solenoid assembly (1).

NOT: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

3. Install the EGR valve bolts.

Tighten the bolts to 20 N.m (15 lb ft).

4. Install the EGR cooler tube.

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP