Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How do I reset and anti theft sytem in 1997 Chevy Cavalier?

you need to perform the 30 minute GM relearn procedure.

30 minute GM relearn procedure:

1-Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2-Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5-Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6-Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).

If, after doing this, the security system still is preventing the engine from cranking, then there is a failure in the Passlock system that can only be diagnosed with a factory level scan tool - either a faulty key, ignition switch or Passlock control module. Unfortunately, this would mean having it towed to a shop at that point.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you