goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified

Chevrolet Cobalt LS: turn off battery saver on chevy cobalt

turn off battery saver on chevy cobalt 2005
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
what is the problem with the car ? did you add a battery saver ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no its part of the cars system i charged the battery for an hour it started an this morning not starting battery saver light comes on
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
where is the battery saver light located?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
on the dash an please give me an answer
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
these cars did not come stock with a battery saver stock thats why im asking where the light was located indicating it was active.isnt this a push the battery saver button on the indicator to reset it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yeah but my question is howw do u turn it off can u or can u not tell me that i looked all over the car dont see any reset switch or anything
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
i am not familiar with these after market systems as they had so many different styles.lets see if another expert can help hang on another expert will reply back to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
battery saver light is on how do i turn it off
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 2 years ago.

Hello, with this message coming on, the vehicle has entered a load shed level 2. do you have any other problems, battery going dead? wont start? and other warning messages or lights coming on?

Load Shed 2 Start

-

Less Than 10.9 V

Battery has a net loss greater than 12 AH

Rear defrost, heated mirrors, heated seats cycled OFF for 50% of their cycle. The BATTERY SAVER ACTIVE message will be displayed on the DIC.

Load Shed 2 Start

-

Less Than 10.9 V

-

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes the battery going dead an wont start i charged it for an hour yesterday an it started nut this morning it wouldnt start an that battery saver light was coming on it said check charging system battery saver on
Ok, basically what this means, either the battery state of charge is too low, meaning the battery voltage cant keep up with the electrical loads of the vehicle. one of two problems, either the alternator is not charging properly, or the battery is weak or bad. when the vehicle is in this state the body control module will actually start turning off some of the electrical items in car in attempt to maintain proper battery voltage. How old is the battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Iam not sure but it looks to be fairy new i charged it to the fulls yesterday an checked the alternator by pulling the pos off the battery an it still ran so u think it mite be the battery

I would have the battery tested, to see if it will pass a loadtest. if the battery is good, have the alt check just to be sure. the alt can still have a low output, causing this to happen. if both these items are good, see a few problems just with dirty battery cable connections or bad ground from battery to body and engine. and the last thing we have seen is a problem with the body control module, which is rare but does happens. if all the above check ok, the body control module will need to be scanned for codes. my money is just a bad battery

here is a outline on how the system operates, the message cant be turned off, the message will go out on its own, once the problem has been corrected

The electrical power management (EPM) system is designed to monitor and control the charging system and send diagnostic messages to alert the driver of possible problems with the battery and generator. This EPM system primarily utilizes existing on-board computer capability to maximize the effectiveness of the generator, to manage the load, improve battery state-of-charge (SOC) and life, and minimize the system's impact on fuel economy. The EPM system performs 3 functions:

It monitors the battery voltage and estimates the battery condition.
It takes corrective actions by adjusting the regulated voltage.
It performs diagnostics and driver notification.

The battery's condition is estimated during key-off and during key-on. During key-off the SOC of the battery is determined by measuring the open-circuit voltage. The SOC is a function of the acid concentration and the internal resistance of the battery, and is estimated by reading the battery open circuit voltage when the battery has been at rest for several hours.

The SOC can be used as a diagnostic tool to tell the customer or the dealer the condition of the battery. Throughout key-on, the algorithm continuously estimates SOC based on adjusted net amp hours, battery capacity, initial SOC, and temperature.

While running, the battery's degree of discharge is primarily determined by a battery current sensor, which is integrated to obtain net amp hours.

In addition, the EPM function is designed to perform regulated voltage control (RVC) to improve battery SOC, battery life, and fuel economy. This is accomplished by using knowledge of the battery's SOC and temperature to set the charging voltage to an optimum battery voltage level for recharging without detriment to battery life.

Experience: Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified