George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years

Chevrolet: 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 blower motor does not

2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 blower motor does not run; will this cause air conditioning compressor to disengage? Blower motor door fuse ok.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Is this an automatic temperature control system?

Or do you have separate settings for the blower?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
5 settings seperate
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

OK, that is the manual system.

There is logic in the control that sees the blower switch inn the off position and the compressor will not be turned on there but if you move to one of the speed settings the compressor should be turned on by the PCM IF all the conditions are met that allow compressor operation.

You should work on the blower operation first and then the AC operation.

Check the connector for the blower and the blower resistor. The can become burnt.

If you have a 12 volt test light I can help you check at the resistor for power in each position and see if the conditions are correct for the blower to operate.

Let me know if you want to test this

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service not the content as you may not like the answer but it is the truth. Only rate when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to click the lower two ratings they are negative feedback that sticks on my record so please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We will check connector please allow us a few minutes
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Sure, if the connector is good let me know if you have or can get a 12 volt testlight. They are less than $5 at any big box or autoparts store.

Thanks and I will be here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
More info: comp. clutch engages one thru five. Pulled connector from blower, reinserted. Motor does not run. Can I check motor supply connector for power via meter without damage to other components?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that is the first check I would make. Place the meter leads on the motor connector pigtail from the resistor and see if there is battery voltage in the high blower position. If there is the motor has failed.

If no voltage check at the orange wire in the high position for voltage and the yellow wire in the #1 position,

If you have voltage there the blower resistor has failed and will need to be replaced.

You did check the 30 amp green HTR A/C fuse for power in the run position of the key?

Let me know what you find so I can help

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Felt end result would have to be voltage at motor connector itself. Checked across black and red wire, read about 9 volts. Does this indicate for sure that motor is getting currant? If yes, can I run jumper wires from battery to motor as final check?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

If you are not on high speed with the switch try it and see if you can get up to 12 volts. I would do a direct current to the motor to check. You can use the red wire and the black wire for your sources.

The wire to the motor should be purple and black not red and black. The red wire is powered straight from the 40 amp BLWR fuse in the underhood fuse block so maybe you have a ground problem if you are only getting 9 volts between the red and black.

What do you get between the orange and black with the key in the run position and the blower switch on the high setting?

Then move the meter lead from the black wire to a good metal ground

Let me know what you get, if the voltage comes up when you go to a good ground you have a grounding issue for the black wire at the connector.

I will be here for about 40 more minutes tonight and back tomorrow if that will work for you.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am working as fast as I can. If I have to talk to you tomorrow, will I have to pay again? If not, how do I find you, and where we left off? Also what time are you available?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

I understand, you will not be charged again. You can always post to this thread and I will respond as soon as I see your post. No rush necessary except for your comfort.

I will be back on about 1:00pm EST as I need to get some sleep tonight.

If you have questions or results go ahead and post them, I check my questions when I get up so I can respond then and we can continue if necessary tomorrow when I get back online.

Let me know how i can help

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got 12 volt reading, pulled blower, will bench test tonight. Will contact tomorrow. Thanks, dave

Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

OK, let me know what I can do to help you

Thanks for the update

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for you info. Found relay and resistor was bad. Dave
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Glad you found the problem, please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you for using JA!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Had to solder all the wires under the dash. I sure hope this doesn't cost anymore since I might have a final question. Thanks Dave
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

You can always follow up with me by posting to your questions. There is no further charge and your deposit is not transfered to payment until you rate me three faces or above. (positive rating)

Let me know what I can do to help you

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Problem was resistor/relay plug fused into resistor. Got new plug from junkyard, bought new resistor/relay at Pep Boys, now it works. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me in right direction. Dave
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Glad to hear it and this is not uncommon. You should not have problems from here on out.

Please let me know if you have further questions

Thanks

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years