David H
David H, GM master certified
Experience:  Cadillac Technician 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master master certified

Chevrolet Equinox LTZ: 2008 chevy equinox awd code c0131 5a

2008 chevy equinox awd code c0131 5a keep coming on traction light on car slow down like brake locking up wont go more than 20 miles
The brake pedal position sensor relearn procedure will need to be done as well as the steering angle centering relearn.A TECH2 scan tool is needed to perform the recalibrations.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i do have the tech2 i did do steering angle centering relearn, i did not see the brake pedal position sensor relearn would you please assist me is that on special function under ebcm diagnostics
Here is the BPPS relearn procedure.Make sure not to touch the brake pedal while performing the relearn.

1. Apply the parking brake.
2. Place the transmission in the PARK position.
3. Install a scan tool.
4. Clear all BCM DTCs before proceeding.
5. Navigate to the Vehicle Control Systems menu.
6. Select Module Setup menu item.
7. Select BCM menu item.
8. Select the BPP Sensor Calibration procedure and follow the directions displayed on the screen.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are we talking body control module or brake control module
The body control module.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok stay with me i am going to do it now .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
r u still there
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
may be u did not get my last reply i will drive the car but why this code got generated in the system due to battery disconnected or it did have a problem with the brake modulater valve but after replacement i did not do the relearn for the bbp sensor that's why the code keep comming back ?
You most likely lost brake pedal position sensor calibration and needed a relearn.I always try to relearn the BPPS before further diagnosis.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

david hi it's fred again that code just came back the truck worked fine yesterday 07/03 from 10 am to 8:00 pm it's a taxi 2 8:00 pm traction light on dash lit up slow down the guy went home 2day went 2 work normal till 1;00 pm light came back code c0131 abs /tcs system pressure circuit malfunction sympton 5A, what's next? this truck drive me crazy

Use the TECH2 on snapshot mode in the ebcm set to record when code sets at midpoint.Then check the snapshot data for the brake pedal sensor and bpmv pressure readings.Once we know what data is out of range then the problem will be easier to diagnose.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so i have fo ,f1, f2 i have trigger point center, f4, f5, f6 could you guide me please so u want me to go on snapshot options click on f2 single code c0131 then put record snap shot when i start driving car should i clear the code first
Set to trigger point center and trigger when code sets.I would clear the code first to get fresh readings.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry my internet was down so leave it on manual trigger or choose single code c0131
choose single code c0131 so the driver won't have to trigger manually.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok david driver said light came back on snap shot continue recorfing so now should tel him to power it off tech 2 & 2morrow how do I proceed to view the snsp shot
He can just unplug the TECH2.The snapshot will stop recording after it times out,about 60 seconds of data.To view the recorded data go to snapshot screen you used to set the snapshot.Then press the view recorded data key.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This can be done 2morrow the recorded view stay in da memory of tech 2 correct look 4 reading f brake sensor bpmv pressure reading
Yes the snapshot data will be saved in the TECH2 until it is erased or overwritten.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi david ok review snap shot brake presuure sensor 0.06 volts bpp signal released what else would like to know
Let me research and get back to you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
david on body control module code c0277 keeping coming back too
You need to find out if the brake lights work properly when braking when this problem happens.I suspect either a failed brake pedal position sensor or an intermittent wiring problem to the sensor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
be4 brake light switch not working changed the switch, brake pedal position sensor is inside brake modulator valve correct, i did changed that one twice with used one can be defective !!!.
The brake pedal position sensor is the brake switch on top of the brake pedal.If you already replaced the brake switch on the pedal then start inspecting for an open or grounding out wire under the dash.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the wiring looks good switch is brand new code c0131 in abs/tcs pressure circuit malfunction code c0277 in body control module keeps coming back on saying not learned why that one keep coming back, men i am really tired of this one i need to get it resolved .
I suspect a hard to find intermittent wiring problem to the brake pedal.One of the terminals at the switch connector maybe loose and losing contact or the wiring issue is going to be difficult to locate.Does the C0277 have a descriptor number after the code?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
c0277 4b, david three wire to sensor orange ground all the time, blue getting .3 w/o pedal depressed ,0.6 to 1.2 v when pressed, gray wire 3.4v w/o pressed goes out pressed am i missing some ?
Try the brake pedal relearn again.Make sure it completes.If the codes return replace the brake pedal sensor again or make sure the new one is properly installed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
every time i cleared the code i do the relearn procedure of brake pedal sensor and all i do apply hand brake tech2 says wait its under process and then says completed, so what you cheif, i am going to order the sensor again.
Is the sensor from the factory?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it is gm parts.
Then I would parts warranty the sensor for being defective.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi david , i put a brake peadl sensor new one ac delco clear all code relearn the pedal position sensor, today customer called me after 4 hours of driving he came to pick up someone while he is in park doing nothing idling service track light trigger on . what am i missing? what's david never heard from you.
Sorry I was away from the computer this morning.You are in situation of a hard to locate intermittent wiring issue to the brake pedal.We have all been in these situations over the years.You will need to trace all the wiring and test the connectors from the sensor to the BCM.Also the wires can break inside the insulation so the wire will look good on inspection.