Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevrolet Malibu: Need to replace crank shaft position sensor

Customer Question

Need to replace crank shaft position sensor on a 2001 chevy malibu 3.1L .
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

The main crankshaft position sensor is located on the back side of the engine block (closest to firewall) It is held in place with one bolt.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nope not there bud it has to be some where else.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
That is where it is located, please have another look. There is a second crank sensor behind the crank pulley(harmonic balancer) but it does not keep the engine from starting or running.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the car still runs just has codes. I replaced the crankshaft postion sensor behind the balancer. Im still getting the code. I will look again though
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good. If you want to provide me the code numbers, perhaps I could shed some more light on this for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
code P0336 replaced both crank sensor.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
DTC P0336 can be caused by secondary components leaking high voltage into the Ignition Control (IC) module. Inspect for the following conditions:
^ Incorrect harness routing near secondary ignition components (harness too close to plug wires or coils).
^ Ignition coil arcing to wiring harness or IC module, inspect ignition coils for cracks, carbon tracking, or other signs of damage.
^ Secondary ignition wires arcing to wiring harness.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
If you find no problems with the wiring then the problem will likely be in the ignition control module, under the coils.