jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE .AUTO TECH FOR THIRTY-FIVE YRS,ELCTRICAL,FUEL INJECTION ETC.
8668911

Chevrolet G20 Van: 1992 Chevrolet G20 Van. The front windows

1992 Chevrolet G20 Van. The front windows are power and when I try to raise or lower them they only go about two inches then stop. After waiting about 5 minutes I can try again and the window will go another couple of inches. I I replaced the small silver relays in the fuse box.But that did not help.Any idea what I can do to fix this.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 2 years ago.

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you .

this will either be in the window switch itself or the window motors are drawing too much amperage out of the system and causing the switch to kick off until it has cooled down .

you will need to actually run a hot and ground right to the motor to make sure that the window motors themselves are working properly.

it cant hurt to spray the window tracks with a lubricating spray to help reduce friction .

.if the motors seem to struggle or one of the wires that you are running to it get hot to the touch then the motors are bad

in that case replace the motor and try it again ..

I have seen both the motors and switch fail at the same time with this kind of issue .the relays or circuit breakers are just doing their job and when the amperage is too high it will kick off until it cools down ...jazzmaster ...

hi ,did you try anything yet ?..jazzmaster..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hooked power to from battery to motor and they still kick out. So, I am trying to get the motor/regulator assembly out. I am having a hard time getting the motor & regulator out. Any suggestions?
if you can get the motor to move a little at a time then move the window to a spot were you can get at the bolts that hold the regulator to the door ...jazzmaster...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
once I get the motors out can I repair the problem without replacing the motors?

well if the motors kicked out like you said they did ,you are replacing the motors on the regulators anyways,these really cannot be fixed.

but double check the motors by running a ground and hot to the motors while they are still in the door .

then switching the hot and ground to the motors that you are using and see if they work the other way ..if the windows go up and down with the wiring that you are suppling to them and seem to work well .then I would more suspect the master switch or if these have seperate switches for each door ,that is one on one door and one on the pasenger door that the switches are bad ....jazzmaster

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you saying the same thing I said in my reply before last "I hooked power directly from battery to motor and they still kick out." or are you saying there is a realy built into the motor?

there is no relay in the motor but the switches will lose contact inside themselves.and may not work until it cools down a bit or in the first place .

if you ran a direct hot and ground to the motor (with the wire connector diconnected from the motor) and it kicked out then the motor is bad .and needs replacement ...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yea that's the test I ran. Thanks fro your help, I appreciate it.

yes, you are welcome .

if you are happy with my help and answers let me know and you can push one of the top 3 smileys faces this will get me credit and a positive feedback .

if you need further assitance and help ,please dont push any smiley faces until you are satified ...jazzmaster ...

jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE .AUTO TECH FOR THIRTY-FIVE YRS,ELCTRICAL,FUEL INJECTION ETC.