Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

1999 s10: clutch..hose..whats best way to bench bleed master cyl..4x4

1999 s10 4.3 busted clutch mastercylinder hose have a new unit to install whats best way to bench bleed master cyl and any tips to speed up installation this is a 4x4 zr2 has the plug in coupling on slave cylinder end
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Pearl/Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. I will do my best to help you with your question. My goal is to help save you money and I hope you will be completely satisfied with my answer. You have the hit happy face for me to get paid for the answer. If you need any more on it just let me know. NOTE: Hitting “helped a little”, or “ I expected more”, that is negative feedback for me and we don’t get paid. Thanks

.

• Tools Required
  • J 42371 Clutch Line Removal Tool

graphic

….

I have the instructions in a PDF format HERE

..

.

.

The bleeding procedure has been updated as well to use a vacuum pump for best results.

..

M/T - Hydraulic Clutch Bleeding Procedure Improvement

Bulletin No.: 01-07-31-002B

Date: November 01, 2006

INFORMATION

.

.

Subject:
Improved Bleeding Procedure for Hydraulic Clutch Release System Models:
2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2007 and Prior Chevrolet and GMC 6-7F T-Series Medium Duty Tilt Cab Models
2007 and Prior Isuzu F-Series Medium Duty Tilt Cab Models
2006-2007 HUMMER H3

.

.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-31-002A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle). This bulletin is being issued to inform dealers of an improved procedure to aid in the ease of bleeding the clutch hydraulic system for the above listed vehicles. This procedure can be used anytime air is introduced into the hydraulic system. Following this procedure may also reduce the number of unnecessary parts replaced for low clutch pedal reserve and high shift effort.

.

.

Verify that all the lines and fittings are dry and secure.

Clean the dirt and grease from the reservoir cap in order to ensure that no foreign substances enter the system.

.

.

Remove the reservoir cap.

Fill the reservoir to the proper level with the required fluid.

Attach the J 43485 (Adapter) to the J 35555 (Mity Vac), or equivalent.

Brake fluid will deteriorate the rubber on J 43485. Use a clean shop cloth to wipe away the fluid after each use.

.

.

Place and hold the adapter on the reservoir filler neck to ensure a tight fit. In some cases, the adapter will fit into the reservoir opening.

.

Apply a vacuum of 51-68 kPa (15-20 hg) and remove the adapter.

Refill the reservoir to the proper level.

.

.

Repeat Steps 6 and 7.

If needed, refill the reservoir and continue to pull a vacuum until no more bubbles can be seen in the reservoir or until the fluid level no longer drops.

.

.

The vehicle will move if started in gear before the Actuator Cylinder is refilled and operational. Start the vehicle the first time in neutral to help prevent personal injury from vehicle movement and see if the transmission will shift easily into gear.

Pump the clutch pedal until firm (to refill actuator cylinder).

Add additional fluid if needed.

.

Test drive vehicle to ensure proper operation.

Thanks

.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the pdf file is telling me its damaged so i cant reveiw it also are u pulling vacume from resivoir downward towards slave cylinder or up from bottom to resivoir
The vacuum is applied to the reservior filler neck with a special adapter and the fluid is drawn up from the bottom of the system. You may want to try bleeding the old way first and just use the revised method if there is a problem.
.
.

.
Let me try to post the insrtuctions here.

Service and Repair

Removal Procedure

• Tools Required
  • J 42371 Clutch Line Removal Tool

graphic

1. Remove the master cylinder rod from the clutch pedal.

graphic

1. Turn the master cylinder 45 degrees counterclockwise to unlock the master cylinder.
  2. Disconnect the wiring harness from the clutch master cylinder start switch.

graphic

1. Remove the clips securing the clutch line to the dash panel and heat shield.
  2. Remove the clutch master cylinder from the dash panel.

graphic

1. Using J 42371, remove the clutch line from the concentric slave cylinder.
Installation Procedure

graphic

Install the clips securing the clutch line to the dash panel and heat shield.

graphic

Pull back on the connector sleeve and connect the clutch line to the concentric slave cylinder.

graphic

1. Position the clutch master cylinder into the cowl panel hole.
  2. Turn the master cylinder 45 degrees counter clockwise to lock the master cylinder.

graphic

Connect the master cylinder rod to the clutch pedal.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i am assuming that with the quick coupling you should get little or no air in slave cyl after master cyl is full and bled or do u still have to bleed slave cyl is there a bleeder for slave where is its location to the cyl on bell housing if any
Yes...there is a bleeder above where the line goes to the slave cylinder.

graphic

The regular way to bleed it is ,

Hydraulic Clutch Bleeding

Important: Do not use fluid that you have bled from a system to fill the reservoir. The fluid may be aerated or contaminated.

1. Ensure the reservoir is filled to the fill line with new brake fluid. Add fluid if required. Use Delco Supreme® Brake Fluid GM P/N (NNN) NNN-NNNNor equivalent.
  2. Push the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor panel.
  3. Open the bleed screw on the concentric slave cylinder in order to expel the air.
  4. Close the bleed screw and release the clutch pedal.

Important: Ensure no air is drawn into the clutch system.

1. Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 until all the air is out of the clutch system.
5.1 Check and refill the reservoir as needed while bleeding.
5.2 After bleeding, pump the clutch pedal several times. If the clutch engagement is not satisfactory, repeat the bleeding procedure.
  1. If the previous procedures are unsuccessful, perform the following steps.
6.1 Pump the clutch pedal very fast for 30 seconds.
6.2 Stop pumping and let the air escape into the reservoir.
6.3 Repeat this procedure as necessary.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
last question you done great so far can the new master assembly be installed without pulling transmission is the coupling ports external or internal or do u have to pull tranny to reach them
You only have to remove the trans if you wan tto replace the slave cylinder, (in the bell housing) and the lines come off with or without the 'special tool'. I normally push the brass collar in with a pair of needle nose pliers, or a small screwdriver. Thanks
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience: 29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering