Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Truck Technician,24 Years GM Shop Foreman,Fully Trained GM Trucks Light and Heavy.
10688023

2000 chevy tahoe: no chip..truck starts then 1-2 seconds later dies

Customer Question

I have the older model 2000 chevy tahoe, 5.7 liter. no chip in the key. the truck starts then 1-2 seconds later dies. what is wrong with it.

Paul
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, even though there is not a resistor key, there is still a security resistor , in the ignition switch. If you have a security light on, you are in a shutdown mode, where the computer will allow approx. 2-3 seconds of running.Sometimes a faulty ignition lock case can cause this. Sometimes an aftermarket remote car starter can fail, and cause this. To manually re-set this, you have to try to start the vehicle, leave the key on, when it does not start. The security light will stay on for 10 mins. when the light goes off, try to start again. the same thing will happen. After 10 mins., do this a 3rd time, untill the light goes out again. shut the key off, then try starting. This will relearn the system with a 30 min. learn. If you still have a security light on, you will have to have it scanned , as there may be a code set, for a different issue.If you did not have a security light, you may want to check the fuel pressure, as there could be a pump issue. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Good luck...Gary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Gary,

I tried what you said above. on my tahoe, there is a security word in the top right corner of the dash. this is constantly on. The truck does start and shuts down after 1-2 seconds. if the fuel pump wasnt working, which was replaced ~~ 4 months ago, the truck would start. several days ago, the horn came on for no reason. when I went to the vehicle, while the horn was blowing, I only opened the door and the horn went off. weird. so far the fix above did not fix the problem. any other ideas?

Paul

6032054614

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i did reply

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
the fuel pump is not working, as it is shut down through the engines computer, as a result of the security light. I would check all of the fuses first, but you will have to have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes, or communication issues. Good luck...Gary