GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

1999 chevy: hard to start may miss may idle won,t revup pops

1999 chevy s 10 blazer hard to start may miss may idle won,t revup pops and cracks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

Is there any warning lights on in the dash?

Was the old filter plugged?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no engine lights are on the fuel pressure is at 55 57 pounds the filter was not plugged
Did you happen to drive it with the pressure gauge attached?

Did the pressure drop or hold after turning the key off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did not drive thr truck but i did check pressur with it running and turned off and it was the same 55 57 lbs
OK, that leaves too much to question. Can you please attach the gauge and try to drive it so we can see what exactly it is doing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can i get back to you later on that?
Please bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it so we can continue the discussion. This is done by pressing (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac). You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the truck does not have enough power to drive it dies out
Ok so even then, the pressure, did it stay up Tim?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it did
Ok, If you take out the front oxygen sensor, does it run better?

how about unplugging the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP), then Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) one at a time?

Finally, unplug the cam sensor and see what that does.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
someone suggested taking out a oxygen sensor but i have not done it yet they said mabey the converter may be plugged i will try those suggestions but it will have to be tomorrow will that be okay can i get back into the program
Those are my thoughts exactly.

yes, reply as you need.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i removed the oxy sensor and it seemed to run better but some times it would take a spell and start and rev up so i removed the converters and you could see light thru them istarted it up and it would barely run would not rev up without backfireing back to square one same problem never starts right up you have to crank crank crank fuel pressuer is still good

Try next to unplug the MAF sensor at the air filter and see if that allows you to start and run better, if not then try the map sensor on the intake.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
unpluged both items no change hard stsat may idle may not may rev may not dont know what to tell you now the only play in the distributor is shaftwillmove up and down a little
Both at once? IF so then plug one back in, it must only be one at a time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
unplugged seperatly no change
How about unpluging the cam sensor, did we do that yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried cam sensor same thing no better tried something new took air cleaner off sprayed either into throttle started right up run till either was gone and quit
OK so the fuel injectors may be failing. I was not hoping for this but it is common.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so what would you do
If it was mine, knowing what I know, I would make sure the pressure does not drop any lower than 57 psi, even though spec is 60-66, it should still start, then replace the injector body as a unit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there anyway that this could a bad fuel pump even though we have pressure in the near 60 area? i am like you injectors going down is rare what is the least pressur that the truck will run
Injectors going down is common these, but pressure steady only a couple psi low will cause a lack of power issue, not this. Thes will still run at 50ish psi.
It is possible that both are the issue.

If you want the logical one, then replace the pump that is putting out below spec.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.