jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 Years Dealership Experience ,25 Years ASE Master Technician , GM Certified In All Areas
11029438

1998 Chevy Venture: replaced the fuel pump..My van stalls

Customer Question

What would be your trouble shooting list for my 1998 Chevy Venture that stalls? I just replaced the fuel pump, but that did not solve the problem. My van stalls after about 5 minutes of driving. I can sometimes restart it while driving, other times I have to wait. I know nothing about autos and can't afford to put it in the shop, but if I tell my son what to replace he will replace it. He won't diagnose. Thanks, Carla
Category: Chevy
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 2 years ago.
Hello Carla, Does the vehicle seem to fail to restart when it is hot? And after sitting and cooling down is that when it will restart?? Thanks...jeffrey590
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, sometimes I am able to restart it as I am driving. Other times, I pull over and keep trying. I can usually spit and sputter my way home, stalling and starting along the way.
OK...Thanks for the added info...We need to determine if the vehicle is losing spark or fuel (or both)...Is the Check Engine Light on?? Or does it come on at any time??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is on. It gives a generic code that indicates it is running lean. It may even indicate the catalytic converter, but I had it replaced two years ago in November. I really do not believe it's that.
OK...Thanks for the info...Here is what I would do...First since the vehicle is showing a lean code it means it has more air than fuel according to the computers calculation...In order here is your list...Check for vacuum leaks in intake system...Next check for a sticking evaporative emissions system purge valve....then check and clean the MAF sensor and see if improvement occurs...Also if you can get it on a scanner check the fuel trim and the fuel system data stream...You need to pinpoint which component(s) are causing the lean condition...I am here if you require more assistance...jeffrey590
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it not possible to have a list of potential parts that need replaced, or do I have to do these checks before you are able to even consider what parts I need? Is the evap. emissions system purge valve the same as a canister purge valve solenoid? Are you suspecting the problem is with the MAF sensor? Scanner? As in that machine I paid $98.00 for that told me nothing? Whatver code it was reading the mechanic said would not cause my problem. It would not act up the three times I have taken it to the shop.
Hello Again JACUSTOMEr, Evap Purge Valve is the same as Canister Purge Valve and is a likely cause of your problem. The purpose of scanning the vehicle is to pinpoint the component or system that is causing the problem instead of just replacing parts blindly hoping to get the correct one. However I would suspect the Purge Valve , MAF cleaned or replaced and a cracked vacuum line and/or a intake system vacuum leak. These would be my top 3 items to troubleshoot...If I can assist further please let me know...Thanks...jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience: 35 Years Dealership Experience ,25 Years ASE Master Technician , GM Certified In All Areas
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It turns out that it was the emission control valve or somethinglike that. I had a homeless man that once worked as a mechanic come take a ride with me. I expplained that I thought it was an electrical problem, perhaps even an electrical short and after he rode with me and saw how it would just die, he agreed. He put in that part, and no more stalling. Runs like a charm. Thanks for` your help. I don't want to not pay you, but I'd rather not have to pay the $29, but it is what it is.
Hello Again JACUSTOMER, I am glad you are back on the road again! It is quite possible the emission control valve was sticking causing the same type of vacuum leakage as the ELCD (or canister ) valve. Same symptom..wrong part...As you can well imagine it is difficult to diagnose a car over the internet without being able to physically test it; so we give you the most common failures and go from there. Thanks for ACCEPTING my answer and if you would like I will answer another question for you so you get your monies worth...Always want my customers satisfied...Thanks Again...Jeff