Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

chevy truck: there a secret to bleeding rear brakes..heck of a time

Is there a secret to bleeding rear brakes on a chevy truck. I seem to have a heck of a time, most of the time
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
hi
no secret
i will give you the proceedure
thanks

1980 Chevy Truck C 10 1/2 Ton Pickup V8-350 5.7L VIN L 4-bbl
Brake Bleeding Service and Repair, Procedures: Hydraulic System Bleeding, Without ABS System, Bleeding Procedure

Manual Bleeding
1. If vehicle is equipped with power brakes, remove vacuum reserve by applying brakes several times with engine off.
2. Fill master cylinder reservoirs with suitable brake fluid. Be sure to always keep master cylinder reservoirs at least half full during entire bleeding procedure.
3. If master cylinder is suspected to have air in the bore, it must be bled first, as follows:
a. Disconnect forward brake pipe connection at master cylinder.
b. Allow brake fluid to fill master cylinder bore until it begins to flow from forward pipe connector port.
c. Connect and tighten forward brake pipe at master cylinder.
d. Depress brake pedal slowly one time and hold, then loosen forward brake pipe connection at master cylinder to purge air from bore. Tighten connection, then release brake pedal slowly. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat sequence, including 15 second wait, until all air is purged from bore.
e. Bleed rear bore of master cylinder as front bore was bled.
4. Bleed right rear brake as follows:
a. Depress brake pedal slowly one time and hold.
b. Loosen bleeder valve to purge air from brake, then tighten bleeder valve and slowly release pedal.
c. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat sequence, including 15 second wait, until all air is purged.
5. Bleed left rear, right front, and left front brakes, in that order, using same method as for right rear brake.
6. Check brake operation and ensure pedal is firm. Also check master cylinder fluid level and add fluid as necessary.
7. Turn off brake warning light by applying moderate pressure to brake pedal several times.
8. Road test vehicle.

36_cf408001-001.png
Fig. 1 Installing Pressure Bleeder Adapter

Pressure Bleeding
1. Loosen, then slightly retighten bleeder valves at all four wheels. Repair any broken, stripped or frozen valves at this time.
2. Using a diaphragm type pressure bleeder, install suitable bleeder adapter to master cylinder, Fig. 1.
3. Charge bleeder ball to 20-25 psi, then depress and hold valve stem on combination valve.
4. Connect pressure bleeder line to adapter.
5. Open line valve on pressure bleeder, then depress bleed-off valve on adapter until a small amount of brake fluid is released.
6. Raise and support vehicle.
7. Bleed right rear, left rear, right front and left front brakes, in that order.
8. Place transparent tube over bleeder valve, then allow tube to hang down into transparent container. Ensure end of tube is submerged in clean brake fluid.
9. Open bleeder valve 1/2 to 3/4 turn and allow fluid to flow into container until all air is purged from line.

Flushing Hydraulic System
If brake fluid is old, rusty or contaminated, or whenever new parts are installed in the hydraulic system, the system must be flushed. Bleed brakes, allowing at least one quart of clean brake fluid to pass through system. Any rubber parts in hydraulic system which were exposed to contaminated fluid must be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try this procedure. Thanks.

By the way, as a garage owner, what do you do if you have a problem that you can't figure out?

you come to justanswer.....allot of great techs here
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But what if they won't answer?

I have a olds cutlass ciera that won't start. Interested in taking on the challenge?

well
this is a seperate question all together...
ask the question on the olds..one of the techs will be sure to help you
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have asked it three times now. Had one guy to reply once then opted out.
what is the question on the olds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not start. It bucks kicks backfires and will chug around if I hold the accelerator to the floor. However, when it warmer, it will start right up and run fine
what is the year , model and engine size?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

95 cutlass ciera 3.1.

Already changed 24x crank sensor, pcm, plugs and wires, egr valve, fuel pump/strainer/filter, maf, air temp sensor.

ok
the first thing you need to do,,is to remove the ignition module..auto zone and most partsstores can test these......though,i have seen these bad even when they test well.....it is located under the ignition coils
the 24x crank sensor isnt the likley sensor to cause this problem..the 3x crank sensor would be most likely
thanks
995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera V6-3100 3.1L VIN M SFI
Crankshaft Position Sensor Locations, Components: Crankshaft Position Sensor 3X
12_gmc95lbdy6e3c4-006a.png
3X Crankshaft Position Sensor

1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera V6-3100 3.1L VIN M SFI
Crankshaft Position Sensor Service and Repair, Procedures: Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement (3X)
12_gmc95lbdy6e3c4-006a.png
3X Crankshaft Position Sensor

On vehicles equipped with manual transaxle, the crankshaft position sensor is easily accessed from beneath the engine. On vehicles equipped with automatic transaxle, the rack and pinion heat shield and the converter intermediate exhaust assembly must be removed.

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT
1. Negative battery cable.
2. Sensor electrical connector.
3. Sensor bolt.
4. Sensor from engine.

INSPECT
Sensor O-ring for wear, cracks or leakage. Replace if necessary. Lube new O-ring with clean engine oil before installing.

INSTALL OR CONNECT
1. Sensor into block.
2. Sensor to block bolt.

Tighten
Torque to 10 Nm (88 lb. in.).

3. Sensor electrical connector at sensor.
4. Negative battery cable.

Ignition Control Module Locations, Components: Ignition Control Module (ICM)
10_93gmMS-075.png
Ignition Coil And Module Installation
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tim, I will try these components tomorrow. Additional information: This car has had a po321 check engine light for sometime. Does this help narrow down the possibilities? I'm going to accept so you get paid, but hope you'll be there if I need you in the future..Also, thanks for accepting the challenge of the 1995 olds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Concerning the chevy truck brake bleeding issue, I've noticed that they are now offering "Brass" proportioning valves for these trucks. Why? Could it be because the steel ones corrode and stick? Since mine is steel would it be possible for this to be the problem?
hi
the valve is a possibility on this old of a truck....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if a problem in this area is why they are making them out of brass now?
no,,this isnt a common problem......the valve will most times outlast the truck
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Tim,

On the olds, how the heck to get to the 3x crank sensor? I read the instructions you sent, but I can't hardly even see the exhaust manifold bolts, much less get a socket on them, and tried for an hour to get the heat shield bolts out. This thing is in-accessable deluxe. Any tricks of the trade that you've picked up would be wonderful.

the best way to get to the sensor is from under the car,,,if you bend your arm right,,you can get to it fairly easy
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tim,

I bench bled the master cylinder and was going to bleed the wheel cylinders but didn't see that procedure listed. Do you have that process available?

yes
try this
thanks
Pressure Bleeding
6. Raise and support vehicle.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Tim, I do not have a pressure bleeder. You did mention this before and I did not acknowledge it because it did not fit my equipment ability. In the past, I've always been able to bleed brakes by pumping the pedal while someone else releases the air out of the system. However, for some reason this procedure has never worked very well on either of the two chevy trucks I have owned. The master cylinder just doesn't seem to produce enough pressure to push the fluid to the rear of the vehicle. I personally believe the proportioning valve should be located in a more central area to make for less line for the fluid to have to navigate. And, you probably know the newer chevy trucks are different with what I call the bastard box in the center of the truck where all the lines go to. This new design does bleed better, but they are a bear to replace lines on. Anyhow, if pressure bleeding is my only option and you are not willing to let me use your equipment, then I guess I'll just have to fight it for a while as usual until eventually I get lucky. Thanks, Jim
hi
you can bleed the system the old way as you descibed,,by letting your help push the pedal while you break the bleeder,,start with the right rear,then,left rear,right front,then left front..
when air gets into the abs system[basterd box,,lol]it can be really hard to get out,,but you can bleed the system this way..
4. Bleed right rear brake as follows:
8. Road test vehicle.

thanks