BOBBYSS, Master Technician

2002 Chevy suburban 1500: wont start..crank sensor..fuel pressure

Customer Question

2002 Chevy Surburban 1500 w/flex fuel won't start, will crank but will die, cam position sensor, fuel pump and relay, crank sensor all changed. changed out fuel pump and truck started ran about 20 min till we shut it off then would not start again, gas gauge not working before or after replacing fuel pump. Did a fuel pressure test was 50 before changing the pump. Plugged in the OBD code reader when we got the truck started and it freezes and will not read any codes. low fuel and battery low light on instrument panel.  Also checked all fuses and relays.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.

BOBBYSS : Hello jacustomer, does the fuel pump make a buzzing noise when turning the key on?
JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

Let me check husband in shower hang on a sec

JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

fuel pump does buzz for about 3 seconds he said

BOBBYSS : Okay, and when it buzzes what is the fuel pressure? Is the security light on or flashing when cranking the engine?
JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

on the new pump haven't tested it .yet as we need to rent the tester again on the old pump it was 50.Security light on

JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

battery is dead again can't check unless we jump it again.

JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

battery is new and was working fine before the truck stopped running

JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

connections on battery are tight security light flashing now

BOBBYSS : Okay, pressure needs to be above 55 psi. It may be a bad fuel pressure regulator. It is located on the fuel rail next to the injectors on the top of the engine. Pull off the vacuum line on it and turn the key on. If fuel comes out of the regulator it is bad. If not then the security system may need to be reset. Also, I hope that the fuel pump connector was replaced with the fuel pump.
JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

Yes fuel pump connector replaced

JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

fuel does come out of the fuel pressure regulator

JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

we did replace the fuel pressure regulator 2 weeks prior to truck dying could it have been defective?

BOBBYSS : Yes, as no fluid should come out of the vacuum line hole.
JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

no fuel comes out of the line only when we pull the regulator off

JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

fuel comes out of the regulator hole where the regulator sets

JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

Could the flex fuel sensor cause any of this?

BOBBYSS : Okay. That is normal. You need to recheck the fuel pressure to see if the pump is defective. In the meantime I can tell you how to reset the security system. Turn the key on to the run position and leave it there for 10 minutes. Then leave the key in the ignition and turn the key off and back to run for ten more minutes. Then off and back on again. After the third time turn the key off and then slowly try to crank it.
JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

We can try that in the morning as we have put the tools away for the night. I will need to jump it again

JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

Does the security system cause the code reader to freeze? if the security is not reset?

BOBBYSS : Okay. Let me know what happens and we can continue from there.
JACUSTOMER-3hfx07tz- :

Security rest has solid light truck still won't start so I can't check for any codes. We did jump it.

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!