AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2004 Chevy suburban: wont start..started happening..wont turn over

2004 Chevy Suburban won't start. This just started happening a couple of months ago, and getting worse. I'll try to start it and it won't turn over. All gauges, radio, A/C, windows and light work. Had it in the shop twice and they can't recreate the problem. I've seen posts about the passlock system causing problems. But when I try to start it, the security light comes on for just a second and then goes out. This problem seems worse in hot weather. I'll drive the suburban to my house from work ~6 miles. Park the vehicle, then 30 minutes later if I go out to start it to go somewhere it won't start. When I get in it the next morning to go to work, it start up immediately. Any help will be appreciated, it's driving me crazy.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Are you saying that the engine will not turn over at all as in a no crank condition?

What size engine do you have?

Can I get your VIN?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Believe the engine is a 350 5.7L Vin# XXXXX
Yes, the engine will not turn over at all, no cranking sound, just dead. All gauges and lights come on as usual. when I turn the key nothing happens. Happens almost daily now. I don't turn it off when making any stops on the way home, for fear it won't start again (I've been stranded twice and had it towed to a mechanic). When I do get home, I'll turn the vehicle off then wait a few seconds to see if it will restart. It usually doesn't. When I get back in the vehicle in the morning to take my kids to school and head to work, it starts the 1st time, everytime so far.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Shannan,

It sounds like you could simply have a bad starter motor. Check to be sure that the starter motor has battery voltage on both terminals with the key in the crank position when it does not start. If so, the starter is bad and needs to be replaced.
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector