Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2001 duramax..o-rings for the oil cooler where it bolts..trans..blown

i have a 2001 duramax with a coolant leak coming from somewhere around the rear of the engine , shoes up above the the oil filter on the left side of the engine, replaced the o-rings for the oil cooler where it bolts onto the block above the oil filter, is there something else above that , that could be leaking that i cant see without pulling the trans or something..chevy dealer says both head gaskets are blown but there isnt any coolant getting in the oil and it doesnt smoke or has it ever overheated
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.
hi
how many miles is on the truck?
has the dealer looked at the leak?
tell me all you can
thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the truck has 118,000 miles and yes the dealer looked at the truck and told me that the head gaskets were blown and that my intake gasket was leaking as well, i was working out of state when i took it to a dealership and when they shown me everywhere the engine had coolant leaking around and below the valve covers, in the valleys on top of the intake, and on the front of the engine. They wanted $3900.00 to fix the truck, but the coolant they shown me was green and my truck has never had green coolant, i have always used the dexcool..i have put another 3,500 miles on the truck since then, no coolant in the oil, doesnt smoke, never overheated..just shows up above the oil filter on the side of the block and without pulling the tranny or something i cant see where exactly the lead is coming from. Thought maybe there was a line, or a plug or an o-ring on the back of the engine that i cant see or something.
hi
ofcourse i cant see it,,,but,i would think the leak is the intake gaskets,,,,,,,though,sometimes a head gasket can leak on the outside like this,and not leak into the cylinders or the oil.....it is likley for it just to be the intake......you may infact need to get a better look at this..again,the intake would be the common cause
thanks