Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

2001 chevy silverado 1500: my oil pump..oil level..gas pedal

I replaced my oil pump, oil pressure sending unit and my low level sensor in my 2001 chevy silverado 1500 with a 4.3 liter v6. i am unable to reset the low oil level light on the dash. Ive tried the key on with 3 gas pedal pumps, and Ive tried pulling the negative battery cable for 5 minutes to get the computer to reset, but to no avail the light still comes on and there is a proper amount of oil in the crankcase.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 4 years ago.
The oil level light is controlled by the instrument cluster module on that vehicle. You need a GM or high line scanner that can check the inputs and outputs to the instrument cluster. This will be able to tell whether the module sees a bad signal or is failed and causing a false light.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the light was on on the cluster before i changed my oil sending unit and my oil level sensor. after changing them it is till the same.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 4 years ago.
Right, which means either the module is getting a false signal (pinched wire maybe) or the module itself has failed, either way a scanner needs to be used to determine which it is- bad input, or bad output.