MasterTech509
MasterTech509, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  2 Years of schooling and have owned a shop for 2 years.
63883477

1999 tahoe 4x4: electric transfer case..truck wont come

I have a 1999 tahoe 4x4 electric transfer case, The truck won't come out of 4 wheel low and go back into 2 wheel hi, what do i do?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  MasterTech509 replied 5 years ago.

MasterTech509 :

Welcome to justanswer.

MasterTech509 :

Does the switch blink at all when you try to put in back into 2wd, are you doing it in neutral?

Customer:

No the 2hi does not blink but it will come on along with the red neutral light.

Customer:

I do it in neutral as the owners manuel says.

Customer:

also the 4low light comes on at the same time as the 2hi.

MasterTech509 :

Do you hear any clicking when you press the button?

Customer:

just the click of the button.

MasterTech509 :

Is your service 4wd light on?

Customer:

No.

MasterTech509 :

Okay It sounds like you have a bad encoder motor on the transfer-case you will need to replace it. To get it back into 2hi you will need to remove it from the transfer-case and shift it manually.

MasterTech509 :

You should be able to use a crescent wrench to turn the sector shaft on the transmission.

MasterTech509 :

Transfer-case i meant

MasterTech509 :

Do you need anything else?

Customer:

Is the encoder motor the same as the actuator at the back of the transfer case?A black plastic device with a wire harness attached to it that engages the transfer case, pushes the fork? There is no sector shaft.

Customer:

This is a ully electric transfer case no sector shaft to turn unless you mean the output shaft?

Customer:

if there is a sector shaft where is it located on the transfer case?

MasterTech509 :

Yes that is the encoder and the shaft you will have to turn is under that.

Customer:

inside the transfer case, am i able to see it and get to it to change the gear to 2hi?

MasterTech509 :

No if you take the shift motor off of the transfer-case there will be a shaft sticking out and you should be able to turn this with a crescent wrench to manually shift into 2hi.

Customer:

ok i got it i will give it a try. Raining right now and i have to do this on my back in the rain. Can i get back to you tomorrow to let you know what happened and how do i get back to you? I can't use the old motor just to cover the hole up i have to buy a new one and how much is the motor?

Customer:

money is tight!!!

Customer:

fluid is going to drain out right when i take out the motor?

MasterTech509 :

Okay and yes you should be able to put the motor on but before you put it on try to move it to the 2wd position so it doesn't turn the shaft back into 4low. The motor is quite expensive at least 150 dollars I would try to find a junk yard that has one if you are that tight on money. And no fluid should come out.

Customer:

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will let you know what happens. How do i get back to just you to let you know?

MasterTech509 :

Okay and to get back just click on your questions. If you found this useful please take a moment to press the ACCEPT button to compensate me for my time you can still work with me even after you press the ACCEPT button thank you.