Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

change my motor mounts in my 1994 C1500..close inspection..bolt..nuts

Customer Question

I want to change my motor mounts in my 1994 C1500 with the 5.7 engine. After close inspection it appears I need to drop the lower control arms to get to the engine mount bolt/nuts. What is the proper procedure?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.
hi
you should not need to remove the control arms to get to the mount bolts..
though you will need to raise the engine
thanks
1994 Chevy Truck C 1500 Truck 2WD V8-350 5.7L
Engine Mount Service and Repair, Removal and Replacement: Engine Mounts Replace
47_cf402007-001.png
Fig. 1 Front Engine Mount

FRONT MOUNTS
When raising or supporting the engine for any reason, do not use a jack under the oil pan, any sheet metal or crankshaft pulley. Due to the small clearance between the oil pan and oil pump screen, jacking against the oil pan may cause it to be bent against the pump screen, resulting in a damaged oil pickup unit.

1. Using a jack, support engine.
2. Remove engine mount through bolt and nut, Fig. 1. Raise engine only enough for sufficient clearance. Check for interference between rear of engine and the dash panel which could cause distributor damage.
3. Remove engine mount assembly bolts, nuts and washers.
4. Remove mount assembly.
5. Reverse procedure to install.

REAR MOUNTS
1. Support rear of engine to relieve the weight on the rear mounting.
2. Remove mount to crossmember nuts and washers.
3. Remove mount to transmission attaching bolts and washers. Raise rear of engine only enough to permit removal of the mount.
4. Reverse procedure to install.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This sounds simple, however, the top mounting bolt goes up through the frame and the two bottom mount bolts go down into the frame and all three bolts have nuts attached. When I loosen the bolts or the nuts the whole nut/bolt assembly turns. There is no access into that part of the frame assembly without removing the lower control arm assembly. I have a repair manual and it says like you say, slightly raise engine and unbolt mount from frame. It does not state that this is a nut/bolt assembly with no access to frame.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, unable to view image you posted.
you can get to the nuts,,,by reaching in from the front under the mount...
thanks
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We do not seem to be on the same page here. Unlike your image. my mounts are on the frame not mounted to the engine. Have just read a bunch of posts on the subject and most folks end up taking to a shop where they drop the lower control arms to get at the nuts. I can see two of the nuts using a flashlight and peering up into the frame where the front of the control arm attaches to the frame. This is the only opening on my frame. You can not just reach in from the front as you state. Thanks anway, but my guess is you have not changed one of these mounts as yet. Really a poor design for a few years for Chevy. One person had his engine removed and still had to drop the lower control arm, springs and shock components to get to the nuts inside the frame. Some folks have drilled holes in the frame to get to the nuts. This does not sound like a practical approach as it could weaken the frame.
ok
i will opt out..maybe one of the other guys can give you better directions,,,someone will be right with you
thanks
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 2 years ago.
I have never removed control arms to do these. However, you have to be willing to find or fabricate the necessary tools to do it.

I have various distributor wrenches with different angles that allow me to reach in there and hold the nut (13mm is my recollection on the size, but I could be mistaken on that point). For the layman, you could source a couple of inexpensive 13mm wrenches and bend them appropriately to reach these fasteners, thereby saving the time, expense, and frustration of removing the lower control arms.

Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.