Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

wiperblades were not in the right place on my window

I just had my wipermotor replaced and when I picked it up the wiperblades were not in the right place on my window. The mechanic told me that is were they are. I told him they were not that way when I came in. They are in my line of site now and they jump when they stop. He told me I had the wrong blades for my car. I have owed the car since 1997 I think I know what blades go on the car. Can you help me fix this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 2 years ago.
When they start up, do they start by going up, then returning to where they are, or do they seem to be stopping in the middle of the up or down stroke?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they start in the up direction, however go down past where the start postition was. what is actually hapening is when the wipers are turned off they go down to a home position then bounce upward, leaving the blades in the line of sight. adjusting the blades down has them hitting the plastic below the windshield when wiping. this wil damage the blades or even rip them i believe.

That's what I suspected.

Your mechanic needs to go back and do this job again. He didn't locate the crank arm correctly on the new wiper motor, that's why the timing is off. No two ways about it, this is all his fault.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX anyway to print this to take back to the shop?
I assume that you can just print this out of your browser window on your end. For example, if you're using Internet Explorer, you can click File, then Print, and the whole page will print out.

Mechanics are a little on the egotistical side, I don't expect that he'll take the advice of some internet mechanic (me). But I can assure you of two things: he didn't put the crank arm on the new motor in the correct position, and if he worked in my shop and sent a vehicle out like he sent yours out and then tried to tell the customer that it's their problem, he wouldn't work for me for very long. He needs to own up to it. I'm more disappointed about him not owning up to it than I am about making a mistake.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will this fix the bounce? when the wipers are turned off they go down to a good stopping point then bounce uppward into the line of sight.
Yes, when the crank arm is located correctly on the wiper motor, they will work the way they're supposed to: XXXXX XXXXX sweep down, then stop.
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.