Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering

99 Astro: check engine light..engine light comes..Fault code p0102

'99 Astro Van check engine light comes on and goes off. Fault code P0102 is present. Scanner indicates Mass Air Flow sensor problem. Before I spend the money on a new MAF sensor I want to be sure it's the cause and not a symptom. I have visually inspected the intake boot and vacuum lines and everything looks normal. I do not hear any sucking sounds with the engine running and it seems to be running just fine. There is nothing obtructing the air flow across the sensor from the air cleaner side. No foreign material in the air cleaner assembly, intake boot, or sensor housing. Have I overlooked anything?

Hello and welcome to Pearl/Just, Super mechanic here. I will do my best to help you with your question. My goal is to help save you money and I hope you will be completely satisfied with my answer. If you need any more on it just let me know.

About your vehicle.

You may want to just check the air intake, (at the front part) for anything that may have gotten stuck in there, (have seen plastic bags get sucked in them) just to be sure.

Then, here is the test for the code.

Diagnostic Aids
Check for the following conditions:

• A misrouted harness. Inspect the MAF sensor harness in order to ensure that it is not routed too close to high voltage wires such as spark plug leads.
  • A damaged harness. Inspect the wiring harness for damage. If the harness appears to be OK, observe the scan tool while moving the connectors and the wiring harnesses related to the MAF sensor. A change in the display indicates the location of the fault.
  • A plugged intake air duct or filter element. A wide open throttle acceleration from a stop should cause the Mass Air Flow displayed on a scan tool to increase from about 4 - 7 g/s at idle to 100 g/s or more at the time of the 1 - 2 shift. If not, check for a restriction.

An intermittent may be caused by any of the following conditions:

• A poor connection.
  • Rubbed through wire insulation.
  • A broken wire inside the insulation.