Hal
Hal, Chevy Master Tech
Experience:  ASE and Chevy Master , 31yr Dealership exp,
39646262

2003 chevy: 6.6 duramax..has high oil pressure.

2003 chevy 6.6 duramax. has high oil pressure. 80psi at idle and 120psi driving. changed oil, dash cluster and oil pressure sensor. put and gauge in the hole where the sensor goes to see what the actual pressure was. it is still 80-120. any ideas
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Hal replied 4 years ago.

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX Your complete satisfaction is my goal. Please provide as much information about your concern as you can.

Check the oil pressure regulator. It screws into the front timing cover on the passenger side near the cam sensor. check to see if it is stuck .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Why is the dealer telling me its in the oil pump and I have to replace the pump
Expert:  Hal replied 4 years ago.

I don't know why. But it is located in the front timing cover. It takes longer to get to remove the fan and bracket over it than it does to remove and inspect it. You might be able to get to it from underneath also.

Here is an exploded view of the internal oil pump. Shows no oil relieve valve.

graphic

Here is an exploded view of the front engine components. The oil pressure relieve valve is #55

graphic

Here is a close up of the timing cover. The relieve valve is on the rt side of the cover near the crank sensor openings. It shows the hex head on the end of the valve.

graphic

So there is where it is located. I can only assume that the dealership employee that told you that is not very knowlegedable on the duramax.