Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Bearing failure on a dually Full floating axle (94 chevy 3500)

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.
hi
do you need to know how to replace the bearings?
....please explain
thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did a routine brake job the oil seals were bad and teh shoe were saturated with gear oil. The reinstall went smoothly and after driving it no problems until my 3rd trip the grinding sound and vibration I knew it was a wheel bearing. My concern is when I pulled the axles there was hardly any oil that came out.
well
there shouldnt be much oil come out..but,,if you didnt refill the differencial after you done the seals,and they were leaking ..it is very possible that it was low on grease,and may have caused the bearing failier..i dont think anything you did while replacing the brakes caused this,,,replace the bearing and refill with gear oil
thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
While doing the brake job I pulled the cover and refilled the fluid w/ 75/90 until fluid came out of the fill hole. It should have had more than enough lube. What is the procedure for setting the hub nut how thight should that be? Did I set it too tight?
well....
now,,i dont know how tight you put it,,so,i wouldnt know if you had it too tight,,but,i will give you the proceedure here...i dont know if you have the rock or the dana,,,so i will give you info on both
1994 Chevy Truck C 3500 Truck 2WD V8-393 6.5L DSL Turbo
Wheel Bearing Adjustments: Rear, Dana/Spicer Full Floating Axle
REAR WHEEL BEARINGS ADJUSTMENT

Ensure the brakes are completely released and do not drag. Check wheel bearing play by grasping the tire at the top and pulling and pushing back and forth, or by using a pry bar under the tire. If the wheel bearings are properly adjusted, movement of the brake drum in relation to the brake flange plate will be barely noticeable and the wheel will turn freely. If the movement is excessive, adjust the bearings as follows:
1. Back off attaching nut until just loose, but not more than one slot of the lock or the axle spindle using wheel bearing nut wrench tool No. J-2222-C or equivalent.
2. Align adjusting nut slot with keyway in the axle spindle.
Wheel Bearing Adjustments: Rear, Rockwell Full Floating Axle
REAR WHEEL BEARINGS ADJUSTMENT

Ensure the brakes are completely released and do not drag. Check wheel bearing play by grasping the tire at the top and pulling and pushing back and forth, or by using a pry bar under the tire. If the wheel bearings are properly adjusted, movement of hub or disc will be barely noticeable. If the movement is excessive, adjust the bearings as follows:
1. Raise and support vehicle.
2. Remove axle shaft.
3. Remove retaining nut and lock washer.
4. Using nut wrench tool No. J-25510, or equivalent, torque adjusting nut, with hub rotating, to 50.0 ft. lbs. Ensure bearing surfaces are in contact, then back adjusting nut off 1/8 turn.
5. Install lock washer, the bend tang over flat of adjusting nut.
6. Install retaining nut and torque to 250 ft. lbs.
7. Install axle shaft.

thanks