Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Truck wont idle

Truck won't idle
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.
hi
does it run well..exept for the idle?
tell me all you can
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got the truck out of storage months ago. Replaced all the ignition parts to get rid of a dead miss. Ran great until I charged the a/c one day, haven't been able to get the thing to idle since. It fires great, turns over, starts up, and after the initial surge on start up, it starts cycling up and down. You can keep the engine running if you really press on the gas pedal while its running, but something is FORCING it to die. When it idles up, runs great. Idles down, wants to die.
ok
tell me all you have tried,,,,,to fix this problem
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dropped the fuel tank and checked the fuel pump. Works like a champ, it should - it was one of the first things replaced when I got it out of storage. Fuel pressure tested fine. Drained the gas in the tank, replaced the fuel filter, AIC valve, fuel pressure regulator, a few gaskets on the top of the throttle body out of the TBI kit, throttle body looks fantastic on the inside, nice and shiny. Jets pour out perfect cones when the engine is running. My next course of action was to start replacing air conditioning parts, but I started with the fuel delivery parts that were cheaper and easily replaced.
it sounds as if you have a bad vcuum leak
check all hoses and lins for leaks........also,,you may want to remove and check the egr valve,,make sure it is clean and shutting all the way off...it may have carbon under the valve causeing a vacuum leak from the exhaust...also,,you may want to check the egr solenoid[this is what the vacuum line from the egr valve connects to]it may be sending a vacuum to the egr valve when at idle..this would open the valve and cause a major vacuum leak from the exhaust
thanks
Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay so I'll replace the EGR valve. I unplugged the vacuum on a 350 that was doing the same thing - long time ago - and it completely leveled out the idle. So I tried unplugging this one and it had no affect on the idle. It makes sense though, I admit, so I'll replace it. Just one last question. If it wasn't the EGR, what would be your very next guess? Just one and I'll accept the answer. I'm just not excited about the prospect of going in search of a vacuum leak. Ugh.

well
you may not need to buy an egr valve,,just remove and clean it with carb cleaner........and reinstall it......the next thing you may want to check,,is the intake manifold...spray carb cleaner around the manifold and the bottom of the throttle body...to make sure it isnt sucking air
thanks
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.