Michael Moore
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.

2008 chevy impala: engine power..check engine light..3.9 zone

Customer Question

i got "reduced engine power" n "check engine light" message on my dashboard! my car is a 2008 chevy impala 3.9 v6 , i went to auto zone n they gave me 4 codes but i dont know what they mean? codes are P0455,P0442,P2138,P0496
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Michael Moore replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know

-How many miles are on your Chevy?

-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
87346miles. well this just happend this morning i was riding down the highway when my car started to reduced speed n hassle to switch gears,gave me a "reduced engine power" messege. i quickly pulled over to the side n decided to turn off my engine. i waited about 10 min, made sure i had good oil levels n coolant but everything seemed ok. i turned my car on again n drove off fine untill a couple of miles down it gave me the same messege n problems. i hardly made it to the autozone n they gave me those codes

The problem is in the code p2138. This is a problem with the fuel pedal, with the pedal or the wiring causing the issue. The fuel pedal is not linked to the engine with a cable but now has a sensor on the pedal that sends a signal to the engine computer which controls the throttle. The pedal has 2 sensors located inside of it, when the 2 sensors do not agree on the actual position of the pedal it will set this code. The engine goes in to reduce power because the engine computer sees a issue. This stops the car from taking off on you. To fix this problem the wiring near the pedal needs to be checked, also the wiring to the engine computer. If the wiring is good, the fuel pedal needs to be replaced.

Let me know if you have more questions on this issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok ill try this in the morning and will get back to u asap
Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the wiring for the peddal were fine and so was the pedal itself, the throttle body was malfuctioning so i got it replace and it seems to be fix. car is running back to its normal state so i dont kno if ur answer was helpfull or not
Its hard to say, I was going off the p2138 code which is for the throttle pedal. The throttle body is still under factory warranty so I hope you did not pay for the throttle body!