Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

How to fix vent valve solinoid malfunction code P0449

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

What year is this Chevy?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2008
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Thanks.

Ok, the P0449 is fairly straight forward, pointing to the Vent Solenoid. The solenoid is located under the vehicle, towards the rearmost of the vehicle, mounted to the EVAP canister. Carefully inspect all the vacuum lines and tubing in this area for any cracks, holes or loose/missing connections. Inspect the electrical connector for any loose, broken or rubbed through wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the solenoid should solve the problem.

graphic

• -Raise and support the vehiclegraphic
  • -Disconnect the electrical connector from the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister vent solenoid valve.
  • -Disconnect the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve (4) from the EVAP canister (5).
  • -Disengage the bracket retaining tab and remove the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is the part number
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, I'm not seeing one. This will be a "Dealer item only" and it's a fairly common fail item, so asking for it by name shouldn't be a problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I found several numbers on line 214-2142 214-2147 214-2149

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

I'm in the GM parts catalogue, and there isn't one listed, so I cannot confirm any numbers you found online. Those part numbers you listed look like after-market part numbers. GM part numbers in the evap system are usually 8-digits. Those look like, maybe... "Dorman" part numbers? I wouldn't trust it. Get the GM original.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They are AC Delco also 214-2241 OE and 214-2147 OE
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
Sorry. No help with part numbers. I only have access to the GM parts catalogue for part numbers, and there isn't one here. I've got the EVAP cansiter, but the vent solenoid and purge solenoid are skipped for some odd reason. There will more than likely be an OEM# on the old solenoid. Should be 8-digits long.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is part located is there a fuse
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
The solenoid is located under the vehicle, towards the rearmost of the vehicle, mounted to the EVAP canister. Click "View Full Image" on the image above for a pop-up window with a close-up view. No, it's not fuse protected.