Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

2002 chevy impala: problem fixed..car will not always start..itis

Customer Question

I have a 2002 chev impala, I have spent alot of money trying to get a problem fixed ,and it still is baffeling everyone .the problem is the car will not always start, itis a little better now that we have put in several parts reguarding the ignition, but it is still happening. Can you help suggest what else it might be thanks ginny
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Pete :

Hi,welcome to Just Answer,I will be happy to assist today.

Pete :

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Pete :

Can you tell me what has been tested and what has been replaced for this fault here?

Pete :

Has anyone that has worked on the problem been able to duplicate the problem to test it properly?

Pete :

Has fuel pressure been tested when it wont start?

Pete :

Does the engine turn over with the key when it wont start or does it not turn over?

Pete :

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer:

no I don,t know what has been tested,I don,t think they have duplicated it.the engine does not turn over with the key

Pete :

Do you know if the ignition switch was replaced at all?Is there any electrical power at all in the vehicle when it acts up?

Customer:

yes the switch was replaced and it shows that there is power in the vehicle ,also the computer says there is no problem

Pete :

So when it wont turn over is everything else electrical working in the vehicle?Do you hear any clicking noises under the hood or in the vehicle when trying to turn it over to start when it wont turn over?

Customer:

yes

Pete :

Where is the clicking noise heard most?(under the hood,in the vehicle,etc.)

Customer:

both places. also the engine light comes on and then it switches over to the security system locked ,and after awhile it will finally start

Pete :

o.k.,when the security system lock/light comes on is it staying on steady with the key on or flashing at all or does it shut off after 5 to 10 seconds?

Customer:

it stays on steady for a few min,with the key on

Pete :

o.k.,this sounds like a security component at fault causing this issue here and can sometimes be intermittent like this.This can be a fault with a possible ignition cylinder or possibly even the BCM (body control module) as these are the most common components to fail and cause this issue here.If they havent checked for fault codes in the BCM or PCM (engine and transmission computer) then the fault codes need checked to see if any codes have set,if any have set then they need diagnosed to locate which component is causing this issue.

Pete :

The only way for them to find out for sure which component is at fault is by getting the vehicle to act up so they can test it when it is acting up.This may involve letting them hold onto the vehicle for a few days or more and driving/running it off and on so they can re produce the fault.

Pete :

I have seen both of these components here fail and cause this type of fault and have had to replace both before to correct the fault.

Pete :

Let me know if you need anything else,thanks Pete.

Customer:

thanks

Pete :

Your welcome.

Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 14 years GM dealer Technician.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes ,but we sold the car thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else in the future,thanks Pete.