GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2007 chevy: 5.3 cruise control is not working..10amp..voltages

I have a 2007 chevy silverado 5.3 V8 and my cruise control is not working. I switch it on and press the set button and nothing,the green light on the dash does not light up.
Any ideas of things I can check, I checked the 10amp fuse for the cruise control and it was ok.I checked voltages at the fuse it was ok
thanks for your help
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

Is this the new style 2007 or old style?

Do the brake lights work?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Cam.
I think its old style,my tail lights (brake) work but the middle stop light on the cab don't work

what should i do next?
Check the CHMSL fuse in the fuse block. This feed is vital for the cruise system and with out it, this will disable the cruise system. If that is good then look at the brake switch itself. There are more than one set of contacts and if one is bad it will cause this issue as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Cam can I check those items tomorrow and get back to you its 10:30 pm a little dark you know. where is the CHMSL fuse ?

Thanks again
It is in the dash fuse block, left end of the dash with the door open.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear cam,

I checked the CHMSL fuse its ok and the stop light switch semms ok>

Do the lights all work properly and react instantly when you hit the brake pedal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Cam, the two tail lights work fine but the middle brake lights on the top of the cab do not work.

Check the CHMSL fuse, if that is good, then look to the brake switch. One of the contacts has likely then failed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok cam I replaced the two light bulbs on the top brake light on the cap (middle)

and guess what the cruise control works, whats up with that. Why?

Ah, that is the system monitoring the lights and getting power back fed through the lights.
I would still keep the switch in mind as they are weak on these.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You mean the stop light switch
Correct. If this happens again and the bulbs are not bad then suspect the switch. It is a common issue on these.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Cam For all your Help

My pleasure, is there more I can get for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im good buddy thanks
Thanks and have a great week.