jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified A6,A8,L1, California Licensed Smog Technician
25319281

2006 chevy: check engine light..My truck..rough..lost power

Customer Question

My 2006 chevy silverado check engine light was on only thru 1 of 1 codes which was p0128. My truck then started running real rough, lost power when it would start and you press the gas, it would die. I changed my thermostat and still thowing this code and now will not start at all.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  jim replied 4 years ago.
The engine coolant temp sensor, may be at fault, do you have a volt meter to make a couple of checks?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, but i will go get one. Would that actually keep the truck from starting and if not, what would keep the truck from not starting??? Please respond asap!!!!
Expert:  jim replied 4 years ago.
If it is to far out of range it can cause the vehicle to not start. It is a two wire sensor, there will be a black and yellow wire. You need to back probe the yellow wire. You can use a paper clip to do this. With the sensor connected insert the paper clip into the connector on the yellow wire, you need to push it in to make connect with the metal part that the wire is attached to. Hook the voltmeter positive to paper clip and negative to battery ground. Turn the key on and see what your reading is at and let me know. If you get no reading unplug the sensor and touch the yellow wire terminal it should be 5volts, then touch the paper clip and make sure there is 5 volts there if not the paper clip is not installed far enough to make contact.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I disconnected the battery, reconnected 10 min later, truck fired, but did not stay running. Now i have no spark again.
Expert:  jim replied 4 years ago.

Have checked the voltages on the coolant temp sensor?