I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.
It sounds like you may have some wiring damage and something is shorting out, if the wiring to the coolant sensor is shorting out it could be cuasing the sudden spike. But since you are smelling coolant there must be a small leak on the top of the engine and the coolant is evaporating and there fore you do not see any leak.
Have you added any coolant at all?