GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

my 2005 duramax..road it lost power and the check engine light came

I have a problem with my 2005 Duramax. Driving down the road it lost power and the check engine light came on. I pulled over and the engine was rattling bad. Oil pressure normal temp normal. I limped it back to town to a shop and had them hook up a reader to get the codes that were being thrown. There were a lot!! Low fuel pressure, misfires on most cylinders and a couple of others that I don't remember. The engine was shut off for 5-10 minutes. The mechanic reset the check engine light and we restarted the engine. It ran normally for 3-4 minutes and then did the same thing again. Each time that I shut it off it would start up and run normal for different periods of time, then do the same thing again. I limped it home and disconnected the batteries to try to reset the ECM. Haven't started it back up yet.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

There is a common problem on this particular engine, but it's not all that bad. Specifically, the problem is with the injector connectors. There are a couple that fail and this prevents proper connection and electrical operation of the injector which causes a rattling. We will require a code to know for sure. Often the codes are A P0207, P0202, P 2146, or P2149. If any of these are set, there is an injector update harness kit for this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I need to get the codes? If so I will have to go back to the shop where I had it hooked up, and it is too late in the day to to that today and I don't know if they are open tomorrow.
Even a part store can get the codes, and usually for free.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I stopped at CarQuest and they did not have a code reader. They sent me across the street to a shop and they read it for $45. I will try to find a parts store tomorrow and get back with you.

I went through the steps to reset the computer and the truck started and ran normal, for about 3-4 minutes then did the same thing. If I shut off the ignition for a minute or two it resets and then does the same thing.
Ok, try looking at the connectors, front drivers side and rear passenges side, see if there is any dust, even the slightest layer on the end inside. IF so, then it does confirm the connector is worn .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went to the parts store and goe the codes. They are P0207, P1293 and P2146. There were more than that yesterday when the guy at the shop read it, more like 10 different ones. While working on the truck I wiggled a lot of wire. After the parts guy read the codes, I left the store and a few minutes later the check engine light went out. The truck has run completely normal so far today. I did some research on the codes and found some suggestions from different people about the wiring problem you mentioned. I wrapped and resecured the bundle that goes over the support outboard of the alternator. It was chafed, couldn't tell if it got through to the wires. I am not sure which connections you are talking about checking, but will if you give me a better idea what I am looking for. There are a LOT of wires running every direction. I checked as many of the injector wires as I could without removing parts. I was not able to get any of them to come off.
Ok, you need the injector update kit to correct the P0207 and 2146 which are the ones that caused the rattling noise.
after that, do this reset and see what happens.
Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.
If you have 2 batteries, then remove both and touch only one set.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Cam. Is the injector update kit a dealer only item? I drove the truck to work today no problems at all. Electrical stuff makes me nuts!!!!
Hi there.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.
Did you have a chance to check out my suggestions?
Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes your answer did help. I am at work now and experiencing the same problem again. Will try to get the wire kit and install it asap
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know the outcome.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I picked up a harness service kit # XXXXX which includes 2 new wire ends, wire splices and new brackets. Which injectors do they go on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You have been a tremendous help. If I can figure out how to do it, I want to send you some additional $. If you have a paypal account let me know and I will send it there.

The longer connector goes to the rear passenger side, as well as the larger bracket. It routes the connector and wire up from the top and supports it better. The shorter brackets and connector are for the drivers front. The bracket that is existing on the drivers front is replaced by the one brackets in the kit.