Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2004 Chevy Cavalier: cranks, but wont start..sounded..running without

My 2004 Chevy Cavalier wont start- It cranks, but wont start. Two days ago it was making a noise that sounded like the engine was running without oil. Upon checking, the oil was fine. The noise was coming from the top part of the engine- near the motor mount/belt area. I parked the car for a day and returned to it yesterday. Upon starting the car, it had quit making the noise noted the previous day. I did drive the car for about 5 miles yesterday, and it seemed to be fine, with the exception of it appearing to be sluggish. I parked the car in my garage last night. Upon returning this morning, it just cranked, but wouldn't start. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
does it sound normal when cranking it over ? i mean does it sound like it always has in the past when you started it?does it crank over alot faster now when it will not start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It sounds absolutely normal. I know what it sounds like when there is a loss of compression. It sounds right, it just wont start. Also, I just purchased the membership. Why does it still require my credit card? I don't want to be billed again as I am supposed to have the next 30 days free since I subscribed......
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
that question about billing you need to call Justanswer on.i think they just bill your card one time for the membership fee they advertised to you.ok good i was leaning to the sound of it starting glad you know what low or no compression usually sounds like.do you have any tools?test light?compression gauge?fuel pressure gauge? when it didnt start this morning did it fire up for a second then die? if no can you get to the fuel rail and find the fuel pressure test port and see if you push down on the center of the test port fuel comes shooting out?or course if you have a gauge can you connect it to that port and tell me what the fuel pressure is reading with the KEY ON ENGINE OFF 50 - 60 PSI
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it never started, not even momentarily. I do not have the stated tools (as of yet) but where is the fuel pressure test port located? I think I need to test that first. I did test all my fuses, all checked out. One more thing- could you please give me the number to call on billing? Thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
i think its(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>on the fuel rail as seen in this picture where all 4 injectors connect toographic there should be a test port with a plastic cap on it similar to a tire valve stem.try to start it then check for any signs of fuel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good, for now. I will try that. Two things- (1) how do I keep you for my mechanic expert? I would like to tip you and not others who just answer one question. (2) Where is the "accept" button?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
just reply right back threw this link.the accept button will be at the bottom of the box.but if that engine is not starting we need to see what its missing.it has to be missing spark , fuel , or compression.and we need to check each of those 3 and see what its missing then go after that system
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I really appreciate that. I'm in the middle of a move out of state. My wife has MY car 2 1/2 hours away, I have her non-running car! So I will just keep this link open until I conduct my test as you have instructed?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok let me know we will work threw this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I have no one here to help me, so I attempted to start the car again- I let it crank for about 5 secs to maybe build up pressure. I pushed in the schrader valve, got no gas, not even pressure. Is this correct for testing purposes or do I need to have someone crank whhile I push in on the valve?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
yes if it was on the fuel rail like i said and no fuel came out then more than likey the fuel pump is bad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, one more thing. Is it possible that it is the relay (accessory)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
well before the pump would be changed 12 volts at the Grey fuel pump wire at the fuel tank when cranking needs to be confirmed.if that Grey wire does NOT have 12 volts when cranking then the realy could be bad,the computer,wiring from the relay to the fuel pump would need to be tested
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech