GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2500 hd duramax that is losing coolant..faint white smoke in exhaust

Have 2002 2500HD Duramax that is losing coolant with no visable signs except faint white smoke in exhaust. Where should I start to find the problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

This is usually a fault in the head gaskets. The issue in this case is a faulty sealing ring on the #2 and #7 cylinders. This allows the combustion pressure to push into the cooling system and then pushes out the surge tank.This will not push coolant into the cylinder so it will not smoke. The replacement head gaskets are updated and do not have the same ring or design so repeat failures are not an issue. THe gaskets take about 36 hours to change in a shop as there is lots to get out of the way. Many even lift the cab off.

THe test I use to find this is as follows.
Put the overflow hose in the end of a pop bottle. Drive it, if the system collects coolant and the cap is not bad, then it is the head gaskets.
Every single one I have seen with this coolant has been head gaskets.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Read discription of problem then provide answer that fits problem
I did read your question, and when it leaks like I have outlined, it is at highway speed, which means the coolant blows away and does not leave and traces.

The smell in the exhaust is usually more fuel than coolant. The pressures the duramax run at mean that is is almost impossible to get coolant in the cylinder when running.

I know you don't want this to be the case, but this is what I have seen in these, a poor design head gasket that failes. The design was changed to prevent this, changing to a multi-layer steel gasket.

Can you put the pop bottle and see if it gets coolant in it please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Why is truck blowing white smoke?
Does it only blow it at idle when hot?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when accelerating.
Ok, does it keep pushing the white smoke then for the duration of the drive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. With coolant in combustion chamber will it hurt the engine. I need to use truck to get to work?

if there is too much, yes, but a small amount just to tint the exhaust, no.
IF you are getting coolant in, then there is a chance, a small one that the injector sleeves are leaking where they seal to the head.