GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT: How much should it cost to replace

How much should it cost to replace both the left and right temp actuator's for a 2005 chevy suburban?

GM Tech (Cam) : Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
GM Tech (Cam) : The actuators range in price from 100-250 each.
GM Tech (Cam) : Labour depends on the center console, do you have a full console?
Customer:

2005 chevy suburban - LT / Flex fuel - engine code z I beleive

Customer:

front bucket seats with center console - duel climate control ( left / right )

Customer:

Had hot air coming out on passenger side on ocassion - got worse - happens on driver side now sometimes.

Customer:

thought it was blend door but dealer came back today and said both temp actuators need to be replaced

Customer:

I have 2003 service manual - seems simple enough...

GM Tech (Cam) : The passengers side is a pain to do.
Customer:

looks like you only have to drop that one panel??

Customer:

and its right there??

Customer:

I do understand there could be differences between 2003 & 2005 though

Customer:

I just think they want too much money for it...

Customer:

I can get the parts from auto store.... frustrating...

GM Tech (Cam) :

No the heater core is the same 2003-2005./

GM Tech (Cam) :

The center console makes it difficult, but the lower one for the left or drivers side can be changed by dropping the hush panel on the passengers side.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The right side is a pain, as it is on the top of the heater case and the upper dash pad needs to be replaced

Customer:

so thats where the right side is - above the mode actuator then ?

GM Tech (Cam) :

NO, the mode actuator is on the left end of the dash above the fuel pedal, the right side is on the heater case on top

Customer:

got it. was thinking the right was a bit closer to the mode actuator - but if I understand you correctly - its more on the passenger side ( just higher up - top of heater core )....

Customer:

only way to get it is to remove top of dashboard?? is that process going to be close to what the 2003 removal would be?

GM Tech (Cam) :

YEs, you need to remove the dash pad and then move some duct work to get at it

Customer:

complexity level? I can handle doing stuff, but time would be an issue for me. Really wondering if the dealer is pricing this too high...

GM Tech (Cam) :

dealer pricing is always too high, It is not bad to di.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Do.

GM Tech (Cam) :

THe top pad is really not that bad to get off.

Customer:

can you give me a short description of what it involves? How much stuff would I need to disassemble ? time to complete ( estimate ? )

GM Tech (Cam) :

2-3 hours.

GM Tech (Cam) :

A pillar trim

GM Tech (Cam) :

cluster trim

GM Tech (Cam) :

dash vents and pull handle

GM Tech (Cam) :

upper dash pad

GM Tech (Cam) :

upper duct and supporting brackets.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Then the actuator,

Customer:

Is $1000 too expensive??

Customer:

I understand the description... thks

GM Tech (Cam) :

For all, it is high, but then they will want 2.2 hours for the left and 4 for the right so almost 600 for labour

GM Tech (Cam) :

at 100/hr

Customer:

last question is about the price.. lol

Customer:

makes sense... I'll read my manual to review the process and try and decide if its something I want to do.

GM Tech (Cam) :

THat is fair for dealer pricing yes.

Customer:

thank you for your help. it was worth the cost and I understand better what I am getting into...

GM Tech (Cam) :

IF there is more I can get you, please reply

Customer:

here is a funny one....

Customer:

ever hear of having to reprogram the computer because the front/drivers seat ( electronic control ) front/back movement is reversed??

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes, very common.

GM Tech (Cam) :

its all computerized so all it takes is a software glitch

Customer:

i thought it was the strangest thing.. I didn't think the computer had anything to do with seat position. But i supose since there is seat position memory - it could make sense

GM Tech (Cam) :

It does.

Customer:

thats all I have. Just have to decide now what I am willing to work on and what I want them to deal with..

Customer:

your help has been fantastic...!!

GM Tech (Cam) :

I am pleased to hear that.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or information regarding this issue. If there is nothing more I can get for you today, then please press ACCEPT If my answer was helpful. You can reopen/reply to this thread directly to me at any time by replying to it and I will respond as soon as I am able. Please keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Be sure to bookmark this page as a favorite (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac) to reply with results or ask more if you need. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.

Customer:

thank you again..