GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

chevy: ..the fuel pump fuse blew do i need to replace the fuel pump

i have a chevy equinox 2004 ..the fuel pump fuse blew do i need to replace the fuel pump?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

In almost all cases that is correct, the failing pump or restricted system due to a plugged inernal filter.

GM Tech (Cam) :

When it is restricted, it slows the pump down which in an electric motor pulls more amps causing the fuse to pop.

Customer:

the fuse blew and was stranded in the road .....was sitting idle at a traffic light

GM Tech (Cam) :

IT will blow at any time the amps get high enough, I would make sure the wiring to the tank is not compromised.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This possibly is a cause of a bad tank of fuel that is plugging the system filter, do you get your fuel in a reputable busy fuel station

Customer:

everything check out the amps and wiring were ok......going on a trip do i need to be concerned?

GM Tech (Cam) :

To be honest I would be. Tell me, when it stalled, what level was the fuel in the tank?

Customer:

it was about a half a tank..

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, one other factor is the fuel level. The fuel acts as a coolant, however at half a tank, the pump should be covered enough for proper cooling.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This means that your pump may be on the way out.

GM Tech (Cam) :

I would keep some extra fuses and fuel up often to keep the level well above half.

Customer:

thanks Cam got extra fuses but think i will replace.......

GM Tech (Cam) :

I would, then you have peace of mind.

GM Tech (Cam) :

AS a maintenance item, with each oil chance, put in a bottle of fuel additive.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Is there more that I can get for you today?

Customer:

thanks agin....

GM Tech (Cam) :

My pleasure.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or information regarding this issue. If there is nothing more I can get for you today, then please press ACCEPT If my answer was helpful. You can reopen/reply to this thread directly to me at any time by replying to it and I will respond as soon as I am able. Please keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Be sure to bookmark this page as a favorite (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac) to reply with results or ask more if you need. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.