Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience:  Most of our fleet is chevy.
17254274

9 chevy: dome light stays on...head light switch..k2500 5.7 350

Customer Question

dome light stays on. have changed out the door jam switch and the head light switch. this is on a 9 chevy k2500 5.7 350
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 2 years ago.

Jettadan1 :

Welcome to Just Answer. We are working on a fast accurate answer Based on the info you have provided. Your time and my time are both Very important.

Jettadan1 :

Did you replace the head lamp and panel dimmer switch?

Customer:

yes it is built into one

Jettadan1 :

Ok good .

Customer:

I even changed the door switches

Jettadan1 :

are you sure the other door jam switch isnt bad?

Jettadan1 :

and is wiring ok to both?

Customer:

changed them both

Customer:

as far as I can tel;l

Customer:

tell*

Customer:

I bought it used

Customer:

have been replacing parts as I see that they are bad

Jettadan1 :

Ok all this circuit needs is a ground path to any part of it for the dome lights to remain on. How did the connection to the head lamp switch look? did it look like it had been hot before? or smell burnt?

Customer:

the white housing that the bulb sits in looks discolored a little.

Jettadan1 :

a lamp socket can do it easy

Jettadan1 :

here is a updated bulletin on dome lamps.

Jettadan1 :

This bulletin revises "Circuit Operation" on Page 8A-114-19 in the 1997 C/K Service Manual and Page 8A-114-17 in the 1998 C/K Service Manual.
INTERIOR LAMPS
CIRCUIT OPERATION
Voltage is supplied at all times from the CTSY Fuse 3 to the Courtesy Lamps, Dome and Reading Lamps, and IP Compartment Box Lamp. The Courtesy and Dome and Reading Lamps turn on when a ground path is provided by the Headlamp and Panel Dimmer Switch or one of the Door Jamb Switches.
The IP Compartment Box Lamp and Vanity Lamps have switches that provide ground paths when the switches close.
For Suburban and Utility Vehicles that are equipped with Power Door Locks the Rear Cargo Door Jamb Switch wire is ORN (1897) which comes off the Power Door Lock Control Module and the Base Body Rear Cargo Door Jamb Switch wire is PPL (328) which comes off the Connector C302 Cavity C.
UNDERHOOD REEL LAMP
Voltage is supplied at all times to the Underhood Reel Lamp from the HORN Fuse. When the switch is closed, a ground path is provided.
COMPONENT ILLUMINATION LAMPS
When the Headlamp and Panel Dimmer Switch is turned to the PARK or HEAD position, voltage is applied through the PARK LPS Fuse 9 and the closed contacts of the Headlamp and Panel Dimmer Switch to the Component Illumination Lamps. Since all of the Component Illumination Lamps are grounded through Ground G200, the lamps light.
ILLUMINATED ENTRY
When a door is opened, the Illuminated Entry System is activated. After the last door is closed, the Dome and Reading Lamps will remain illuminated for 20 seconds or until the Ignition Switch is turned on. Voltage is supplied to the module at all times through CTSY Fuse 3. The ground path is provided by CKT 150 to Ground G200. The module senses a ground signal from CKT 157 when a door is opened. The module then provides a ground path to CKT 156 which allows the lamps to light.

Jettadan1 :

this isnt a new issue and they have testing for you.

Jettadan1 :

click here

Customer:

ok something that I have noticed is that the glove box light comes on when it wants to, for example when I bump it

Jettadan1 :

Do you have a diagram?

Jettadan1 :

good eye. check it out also.

Customer:

would that cause my dome light to stay on

Jettadan1 :

if that circuit is grounded

Jettadan1 :

it will provide a ground path for the dome light circuit.

Customer:

well crap

Customer:

sounds like I have a short

Jettadan1 :

here is testing above

Jettadan1 :

You almost have it do you have a diagram?

Customer:

no I do not have a diagram

Customer:

have been meaning to get a chiltons manual

Customer:

if I disconect the light in glove box would that kill the circut

Customer:

k

Jettadan1 :

click here also if you dont find it as easy as we think its going to be here is testing http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jettadan1/2012-04-18_015824_fullshot.pdf

Customer:

ok

Jettadan1 :

If You have any questions at all even after accept let me know. Thats what I am here for. I will send you know in a couple of days to make sure you are progressing well.

Jettadan1 :

after first accept no need for addition accepts if you follow up.

Customer:

ok thanks

Jettadan1, Chevy Technician
Experience: Most of our fleet is chevy.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how you are doing. Do you have your dome lights working properly yet?

Thanks Daniel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still can not get it working tracked everything down and there was no short. I am about to say screw it. I do not get it.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much for following up with me. You are my first of many customers this morning but I wont be talking with anyone else until I re read our thread and reanswer your question adding info that may make it easier for tracking. I may after to ask you some questions though. As you are my eyes and hands. As promised no accept needed and thanks for the bonus last time.

Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 2 years ago.

I just wrote you answer and was sending and my exporer shut down. When I got it back all the info I typed was gone. Lol

Ok lets start withhead lamp and dimmer switch as you said it was discolored a bit.

Check pins in front to wires in back about 3 to 5 inches back when you probe into the wire with test pin please cover up with electrical tape to protect it. Check for continuity. Every pin. wiggleing to make sure there isnt a break that touches. Click here for connection ID of the headlamp switch. It will show you wire color, circuit number and cavity id.

I have seen in my site that you have a dome lamp switch in the middle of your IP also instrument panel. this may depend on what package you have from dealer but check it also.

Lets conform those finding first if at any time you question a circuit you can cut a piece of wire and use a jumper wire to complet the circuit to test operation.

Thanks Daniel

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i just replaced my headlight switch. the cargo light switch doesnt work I have it unplugged because every time I try to use it it blows a fuse.
Expert:  Jettadan1 replied 2 years ago.
I belioeve the connection to the switch is bad not the switch. but it can be out in the wiring. thats the toough part.