Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

Chevrolet cobalt ls: 2008 cobalt ls 2.2L code p0411

Customer Question

2008 cobalt ls 2.2L code p0411
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 2 years ago.
Do you have access to a scan tool?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
The easiest way (and perhaps the only way) to pin this down is with a scan tool. You can turn the air pump on with the scan tool, then monitor the pressure sensor reading and the O2 sensor reading to see that air is actually flowing.

The advantage with a scan tool is the ability to put yourself into the position to see what the computer sees, and understand why it thinks there's a failure. Trying to diagnose this without that advantage can be maddening. Though you've replaced seemingly every component in the system.... it's hard to understand what you've missed.

I assume that the air pump runs on cold start, yes? Otherwise, I would expect a P0410.

I'll provide you with the factory service manual flowchart for this, but as I've mentioned already: it makes extensive use of a scan tool for testing. There are some resistance values and such that you might find useful, but as far as fixing this without use of a scan tool, that's going to be a tough road.

Hyperlinks won't work for you here, but if you need anything else, let me know and I'll fetch it up for you. Final analysis: I would let a professional figure this out, it'll save you money in the long run.

Circuit/System Verification

Note: Verify the battery is fully charged before proceeding with this diagnostic procedure. The secondary air injection pump output will vary with system voltage.
1. Ignition ON
2. Verify that DTC P0412, P0418, P2430, P2431, P2432, P2433, P2440, or P2444 is not set.
If any of the DTCs are set

Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle

If none of the DTCs are set.

3. Verify the scan tool BARO pressure parameter is within the range specified in the Altitude Versus Barometric Pressure
If not within the specified range

Refer to DTC P0106

If within the specified range

4. Verify the scan tool AIR Pressure Sensor and BARO pressure parameters are within 3 kPa (0.4 psi).
If not within the specified range

Refer to DTC P2430-P2433

If within the specified range

Note: Repeat multiple times to verify secondary air injection solenoid valve operation.
5. Verify the secondary air injection solenoid valve activates when commanding the AIR Solenoid ON and OFF with a scan tool.
If the secondary air injection solenoid valve does not operate as specified

Refer to Circuit/System Testing—Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve Malfunction

If the secondary air injection solenoid valve operates as specified

6. Engine running
7. Verify the secondary air injection pump turns ON and OFF when commanding the AIR Pump Relay ON and OFF with a scan tool.
If the secondary air injection pump does not operate as specified

Refer to Circuit/System Testing—Secondary Air Injection Pump Malfunction

If the secondary air injection pump operates as specified

8. Verify the scan tool AIR Pressure Sensor parameter increases between 20–30 kPa (2.9–4.4 psi), over the current reading, when the AIR Pump Relay is commanded ON with a scan tool.
If not within the specified range

Refer to Circuit/System Testing—Secondary Air Injection System Pressure Not In Range.

If within the specified range

9. Verify the scan tool AIR Pressure Sensor parameter increases between 10–15 kPa (1.5–2.2 psi), over the current reading, when the AIR System is commanded ON with a scan tool.
If not within the specified range

If within the specified range

10. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
11. Verify the DTC does not set.
If the DTC sets

Refer to Circuit/System Verification-step 1

If the DTC does not set

12. All OK

Circuit/System Testing

Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve Malfunction

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the secondary air injection solenoid valve relay.
2. Verify a test lamp illuminates between the B+ circuit terminal 30 and ground.
If the test lamp does not illuminate

2.1Test for less than 2 Ω in the B+ circuit end to end.
If 2 Ω or greater, repair the open/high resistance in the circuit.
If the test lamp illuminates

3. Disconnect the harness connector at the secondary air injection solenoid valve.
4. Ignition OFF and all vehicle systems OFF, it may take up to 2 minutes for all vehicle systems to power down. Test for less than 10 Ω between the secondary air injection solenoid valve ground circuit terminal 4 and ground.
If 10 Ω or greater

4.1Ignition OFF.
4.2Test for less than 2 Ω in the ground circuit end to end.
If less than 2 Ω, repair the open/high resistance in the ground connection.
If less than 10 Ω

5. Connect the harness connector at the secondary air injection solenoid valve.
6. Connect a 10 A fused jumper wire between the B+ circuit terminal 30 and the control circuit terminal 87.
7. Verify the secondary air injection solenoid valve is activated.
If the secondary air injection solenoid valve does not activate

7.1Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the secondary air injection solenoid valve.
7.2Test for less than 2 Ω in the control circuit end to end.
If less than 2 Ω, test or replace the secondary air injection solenoid valve.
If the secondary air injection solenoid valve activates

8. Test or replace the secondary air injection solenoid valve relay.

Secondary Air Injection Pump Malfunction

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the secondary air injection pump relay.
If the test lamp does not illuminate and the circuit fuse is good

2.1Ignition OFF
2.2Test for less than 2 Ω in the B+ circuit end to end.
If less than 2 Ω, verify the fuse is not open and there is voltage at the fuse.
If the test lamp does not illuminate and the circuit fuse is open

2.1Ignition OFF
2.2Test for infinite resistance between the B+ circuit and ground.
If less than infinite resistance, repair the short to ground on the circuit.
If infinite resistance
2.3Disconnect the harness connector at the secondary air injection pump.
Note: The secondary air injection pump circuit is provided with a flyback diode that may cause the DTC to set if internally shorted.
2.4Connect a DMM, set on the diode setting, between the control circuit terminal A and ground.
2.5Verify the DMM reading is between 0.5–0.8 V and displays O.L. when the DMM leads are reversed.
If less than the specified range, repair the short to ground on the circuit.
If within the specified range
2.6Test or replace the secondary air injection pump.
If the test lamp illuminates

3. Disconnect the harness connector at the secondary air injection pump.
4. Ignition OFF and all vehicle systems OFF, it may take up to 2 minutes for all vehicle systems to power down. Test for less than 10 Ω between the secondary air injection pump ground circuit terminal B and ground.
If 10 Ω or greater

4.1Ignition OFF.
If less than 10 Ω

5. Connect the harness connector at the secondary air injection pump.
6. Connect a 40 A fused jumper wire between the B+ circuit terminal 30 and the control circuit terminal 87.

Note: To prevent damage to the secondary air injection pump from overheating, do not continuously operate the pump for greater than 3 m.
7. Verify the secondary air injection pump is activated.
If the secondary air injection pump does not activate

7.1Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the secondary air injection pump.
If less than 2 Ω,
7.3Test or replace the secondary air injection pump.
If the secondary air injection pump activates

8. Test or replace the secondary air injection pump relay.

Secondary Air Injection System Pressure Not In Range

1. Verify the following conditions do not exist:
Hoses/pipes restricted or blocked
Hoses/pipes disconnected
Plugged secondary air injection pressure sensor port
Damaged secondary air injection check valve
If a condition is located

Repair or replace the affected component as necessary.

If all components test normal

2. If a condition is not located, and the secondary air injection pump operates with no pressure change, replace the secondary air injection pump.

Component Testing

Relay Test

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the appropriate relay.
2. Test for the following resistance between terminals 85–86.
50–75 Ω—secondary air injection pump relay
70–110 Ω—secondary air injection solenoid valve relay
If not within the specified range

Replace the relay.

If within the specified range

3. Test for infinite resistance between the terminals listed below:
30 and 86
30 and 87
30 and 85
85 and 87
If less than infinite resistance

Replace the relay.

If infinite resistance

4. Install a 15 A fused jumper wire between relay terminal 85 and 12 V. Install a jumper wire between relay terminal 86 and ground.
5. Test for less than 2 Ω between terminals 30 and 87.
If 2 Ω or greater

Replace the relay.

If less than 2 Ω

6. All OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got obd2 scanner with "view data" option .and baro pressure always stay same 29.5 HG,may I try change pressure sensor,because I got same car for parts.Where pressure sensor located?
The BARO reading is fine. It's measuring barometric pressure outdoors, just like the barometer on the wall does. The MAP sensor is what measures this, it measures it as soon as you turn the key on (engine not running) and at wide open throttle (since there's no vacuum at WOT either), and it uses this to calculate elevation for purposes of adjusting the fuel mixture.

The AIR system uses a pressure sensor that is part of the check valve that you said you replaced. I assume that the piece you replaced has an electrical connector on top of it, right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes,valve located on top back of engine,also i replace maf sensor,still same problem.When I do cold start,I can hear strange sound,like vacuum pump,approx 30 sec this sound go away and mil lamp turns on.I assume, without tech2 no way to fix this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
offline
You've already thrown all of the parts at it, and it's still not fixed, so the short answer is "Yes" this will need a Tech 2 or equivalent scan tool to figure this out. The technician needs to be able to command the AIR pump and see the values change, and then form a strategy for repairing it based on what is actually happening with the pump is engaged.